Ambikas

Balaji

Ambikas is an iconic condiments shop, now with branches in and around Chennai. Although the family has been in the appalam business since 1915, they started their first shop in 1948 and called it Ambika Appalam Depot. (Appalams are somewhat like tortillas and tacos, but thinner) That parent shop is located on North Mada St, Mylapore, and that is the one that I sketched, on location, with pen and ink. My sketch is A4 size (approximately 11" x 8").

Ambikas at Mylapore.jpg

I love it. It's small, full of your legendary attention to detail, and there's a story, too! What's not to love here?

The birds flying around are such a nice touch. ❤️ Terrific, Balaji!

Terri, Jo...Thank you. I am glad that you both like the sketch as well as the narrative.
Terri...Different species of birds roost at different levels and temple towers are like aviaries in the range of bird species that they support.

Terri, Jo...Thank you. I am glad that you both like the sketch as well as the narrative.
Terri...Different species of birds roost at different levels and temple towers are like aviaries in the range of bird species that they support.
That makes sense, and is something I never considered. Thanks for this tidbit! :)

Back