Advice on Hanging Paintings

Hermes2020

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some suggestions or advice: I am looking for an elegant way to display paintings on one wall in my work room. It should be possible to change the heights and positions of the paintings easily. The wall I want to do it on is 3.3m high by 6.0m wide.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some suggestions or advice: I am looking for an elegant way to display paintings on one wall in my work room. It should be possible to change the heights and positions of the paintings easily. The wall I want to do it on is 3.3m high by 6.0m wide.
My first thought are "channel shelf strips" like this, mounted vertically. They screw to the wall and you could mount several side by side:

1640533438764.jpeg

Thank you Bongo. I don't know why I didn't think of that. My ceiling is quite high, so the rail will not be an eyesore.

I like traditional picture rails. Very classy if your decor is traditional.
Thank you for responding with a good suggestion, but my furniture is mainly Eames and Saarinen, with a few Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier pieces mixed in, so I guess the décor can be described as traditional 20th century. Picture rails don't appeal to me.

Hermes, there are various brands of the kind of rail systems pictured above. I got to play with them helping a friend years ago with his gallery, and then when I had a gallery in one of the facilities I ran we bought a set too. They work exceedingly well. They are not esthetically as pleasing for homes unless you like their sort of modern almost industrial style. But they are great for a changing gallery type situation. Very simple to operate.

Hermes, there are various brands of the kind of rail systems pictured above. I got to play with them helping a friend years ago with his gallery, and then when I had a gallery in one of the facilities I ran we bought a set too. They work exceedingly well. They are not esthetically as pleasing for homes unless you like their sort of modern almost industrial style. But they are great for a changing gallery type situation. Very simple to operate.
Thank you. I rather like industrial, or what used to be called Hi-Tech, interior design. I think I will cobble together something from stainless steel cable and rods. I have access to a well equipped manufacturing facility with skilled welders.

Thank you. I rather like industrial, or what used to be called Hi-Tech, interior design. I think I will cobble together something from stainless steel cable and rods. I have access to a well equipped manufacturing facility with skilled welders.
I toyed with making these. Simple steel or aluminum channel strip and coated (or uncoated) flexible twisted wire available at most hardware stores. The trick is finding the fittings: the top that slides in the channel with a hole or hook for attaching the wire, and the slide on the wire that holds the frame and yet locks into place. I suspect an inexpensive way to go is to find a source of those two fittings from a picture hanging brand and combine with the cheaper hardware store wire and channel stripping.

I toyed with making these. Simple steel or aluminum channel strip and coated (or uncoated) flexible twisted wire available at most hardware stores. The trick is finding the fittings: the top that slides in the channel with a hole or hook for attaching the wire, and the slide on the wire that holds the frame and yet locks into place. I suspect an inexpensive way to go is to find a source of those two fittings from a picture hanging brand and combine with the cheaper hardware store wire and channel stripping.
I think it will be an interesting engineering challenge. It's what I enjoy doing.

Back