Abstract landscape

Donna T

Contributing Member
This doesn't really fit any category but it's done with acrylics so it might as well go here. I was using acrylic paper to roll out excess paint from another project when I noticed that the layers were creating a landscape, or at least a dark area on top of a light area and I thought the golden color looked a lot like the fields in my area. We've had some storms recently so maybe that's what was on my mind. I tried not to get fussy and thought using a knife instead of a brush might help. (Wayne, if you see this it's ok to laugh because I have zero experience with a painting knife!) 6x8 on acrylic paper

IMG_3353pscs.jpg

Thanks Wayne. I hope to play around with more like this - and think I’ll read up on how to paint with a knife.

I totally agree with Wayne!
There’s lots of ways to use the same tool. You prove you didn’t need the bigger knife strokes in this piece.
And I’m curious, what do you mean when you said you were rolling out paint from another project? Is this an oil paint thing?
My taste in art has changed as I’ve gotten older. I’ve been smitten with many different types and subjects over the year. But for the last 10 yrs I fell in love with abstract landscapes. I just find I can get lost in them and they can be quite sublime. I hope one day I can create a good one.
You did a great job here! What a wonderful happy accident/unintended discovery!
Thanks for sharing and describing how this came to be.🙂

Thanks Christine. Abstract landscapes do leave a lot of room for wandering around and I get lost in them too. I also attempted another piece which is too awful to post. There are YouTube videos of artists who make landscapes with their gel printing plates so that’s what I tried. I rolled out acrylic paint on the plate then lifted it up, flipped it over and applied it to the paper. Excess paint gets rolled off on another piece of paper instead of wasting it by washing it off. The goal is to gradually build up layers and create a landscape. I’ll have to try again. A pad of acrylic paper was sitting around so it was the scrap paper this time. An old mat is so helpful for seeing the possibilities of these scrap pieces.

Thank you for explaining. I don’t know much about gel plates but I have seen them mentioned a few times. Definitely don’t give up after the first time! It’s great that you can save some of the paint.

Love this one. I like the texture, subdued colors and the minimalism and plus, it's a landscape. :) This could be 6 x 8 feet instead of inches.

Donna, this is very good! I like everything about this landscape. You do beautiful work with palette knife. Amazing how beautiful this painting is!! Love, love!! 👏

How beautiful! This works great as an abstract landscape. I can now understand how you got there with the gel plate. I love the depth of color you were able to build up. It works, it works! 😆

That golden horizon below just sets it off. Congrats on using the palette knife so perfectly, too. Wonderful work! ❤️

Thank you Murray. Those rocky shapes kept wanting to be defined and it felt weird just leaving them like that!

Back