A new home!

classic

Hello to all.

You can perhaps guess that I'm one of the Wet canvas deluge refugees. Too wet, so one can't walk safely :oops:
I understand very well that this wave of new members can be scary for some of the older members. I'm not pessimist because many from the older members come from there, too. Anyway, we have to face the real facts and act accordingly.

As for me, perhaps some among you already know me (I kept my old screen name and avatar). I come from the science/engineering/technology world, However arts were always present in my life. Above all it was music and photography. I did graduate from a music school with a piano degree but never had any professional musical activity. Instead, I remain a pupil as I don't stop to learn more and more. I was passionate with the photo art and technique and spent innumerable hours/days in the darkroom, however the digital photo technology says much less to me.

My first painting experience came from the elementary school with some watercolors, many dozens of colors in a big metal case. My memories are about damaged brushes and a mess in the case as I didn't care about rinsing well the brush from one color to another. You can imagine that all pans were contaminated from other colors. Nevertheless it seems that I finally understood that this practice was wrong, so I began to clean up the pans by taking the upper layers with a wet brush. Not entirely lost time: I learned something! Of course, as a child I did play with graphite and color pencils on sketching blocs, on books, even on the walls of my room.

In the secondary school, I had to use oil pastels and gouache. It was the first time I learned from an art teacher about color mixing and later about drawing and perspective. Unfortunately it was too short, not even 1 hour a week, anyway it was interesting.

Next step: I went in a dedicated drawing school to learn architectural drawing. There is an architectural tradition in my family: my father was architect, my grand father too, and my sister is an architect too. My mother was really skilled in drawing as well as painting (gouache and oil pastels). During my university studies I left painting practice. I came back as a postgraduate student with some clay work this time. Since several years I have a new interest on the painting practice. I felt that drawing skills are necessary for any medium practice, so I had to "refresh" my drawing knowledge and regain my skills and level. I had in mind to follow the W.C. drawing class, well organized and monitored by Arnoud. Unfortunately the migration to the new software broke that class and Arnoud disappeared. :(

So I'm not an artist, I'm someone that likes and tries to learn painting and anything related: drawing, techniques, composition... I see that there is a special par of the forum for this. I hope it will helpful, along with advice and comments from experienced artists among you, my new friends.

A forum is much more than just discussions on painting or art history or ... It is part of the everyday's life. This has been true for me since almost 20 years, where I joined my first (musical) forum. During last several days I read older messages to better understand the forum's spirit. I hope and am optimist that this will be a nice and worm art home!

Emmanuel
:)

Welcome to Creative Spark, Emmanuel! We're glad you decided to transition here from WC.

You are speaking my language!! I'm happy to meet a fellow traveler in film and darkroom processes. I still have my darkroom equipment but am currently not making any prints, although I still develop my own B&W film. I'm just scanning my negatives when I want to show anything online, which isn't particularly often. Digital photography to me means my cell phone, which does fine for casual snaps.

You also mentioned some experience with oil pastels, which is about my main medium atm. I've had no formal art classes so I learn on the go, and had a lot of help from great artists over at WC.

I look forward to seeing your work. :) Keep posting and enjoy the forum!

Welcome to the forum.
Most of us older members also came from wet canvas so we're happy to have more of our old friends here.

Hi classic! Welcome to the forums. So glad to have you. Thank you for your story; it really helps to get to know people much better this way. I too have a background in music (percussion) and went to school for it. I have no formal training in art however. It's nice to have artists with diverse backgrounds and people who consider themselves always a student for life. I am with you on that one. ♥️

EDIT: And by the way, love that you also have a science background too: love your avatar.

You are speaking my language!! I'm happy to meet a fellow traveler in film and darkroom processes. I still have my darkroom equipment but am currently not making any prints, although I still develop my own B&W film. I'm just scanning my negatives when I want to show anything online, which isn't particularly often. Digital photography to me means my cell phone, which does fine for casual snaps.
Today's equipment has little to do with the past: one can easily take 10 or 20 photos to choose from, instead of 2-3 one could take on film. The sensitivity and resolution of sensors is outstanding too. Nevertheless I miss days and nights in the darkroom in company of the yellow lamp and the developer/fixer trays.

Thank you all for this "welcome".
I left my first musical forum because the ambience was far from friendly. This is primordial for me: to communicate with people that I appreciate.

Back