Your ideas please

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Stepping outside my knowledge base to add an impact to an exhibition about highways as lifelines for rural living folks.

I want to add a mat, that represents the highway from the doorway to the signature work. Major issue, nothing can be stuck to the floor. I'm thinking carpet runner, workshop line sturdy non-slip mat and a bath mat I've discovered that looks like pebbles.

I am considering using resist method, using several layers, working from road base to signposts relevant to the story of the exhibition.

Two questions:
- have you done anything similar , or know what actually work
- so far, I'm thinking silicon for the resist medium. What do you think? Is there something better.

I'm hoping to start trials before Xmas.

Thanks in advance

I'm trying to get a handle on your concept, too. So, you are working on a painting for this exhibition about highways being life lines to people who live in rural areas (agreed!) and, to make a more visual impact, you want to add a type of floor mat representing one's own doorway heading out to the highway. Is that more or less the gist of it? It sounds like the items you listed would work, since you're saying there can't be anything actually stuck to the gallery floor.

If that's about right, then: no, I haven't done anything similar, but those various items you mentioned all sound doable. I agree that silicon is a good resist material, too, it should repel just about anything.

Take pictures! I want to see! :)

It's hard for me to grasp what you're going after from your description here, but it sounds like a cool concept.
Thanks, and Yeah, I thought that. I'm trying to keep the concept behind my exhibition alive; despite having to drastically reduce the number of works I can hang. I have trouble understanding how the curator doesn't get how difficult that is. Starting point was a highway that runs for about 10,000km, a close guess- at least a 2 days drive, up the east coast of Australia. And, looking at it as a lifeline. So, I can cull those images from my plans.

Stepping outside my knowledge base to add an impact to an exhibition about highways as lifelines for rural living folks.

I want to add a mat, that represents the highway from the doorway to the signature work. Major issue, nothing can be stuck to the floor. I'm thinking carpet runner, workshop line sturdy non-slip mat and a bath mat I've discovered that looks like pebbles.

I am considering using resist method, using several layers, working from road base to signposts relevant to the story of the exhibition.

Two questions:
- have you done anything similar , or know what actually work
- so far, I'm thinking silicon for the resist medium. What do you think? Is there something better.

I'm hoping to start trials before Xmas.

Thanks in advance
After ready everyone's replies, my ideas morphed into the attached sketch. Just pencil sketch. Shows the highway (dotted lines), communities signified by initials, and me. Plan is to lay the mat so that it points to my signature piece for the show.
IMG_20221207_194145_1-02.jpeg

After ready everyone's replies, my ideas morphed into the attached sketch. Just pencil sketch. Shows the highway (dotted lines), communities signified by initials, and me. Plan is to lay the mat so that it points to my signature piece for the show.View attachment 26712
I don't know. It is something, but it is not necesserily a fit. Could be considering some different colours maybe but that also wouldn't be a fit, would it? if there is a way around with geometries to reduce the yellow to a comfortable level.

I don't know. It is something, but it is not necesserily a fit. Could be considering some different colours maybe but that also wouldn't be a fit, would it? if there is a way around with geometries to reduce the yellow to a comfortable level.
Thanks for your thoughts. Have to admit 'I tend to overdo yellow'. Is there such a thing as too much yellow? ;)
I was thinking of deepening some of the blues

After ready everyone's replies, my ideas morphed into the attached sketch. Just pencil sketch. Shows the highway (dotted lines), communities signified by initials, and me. Plan is to lay the mat so that it points to my signature piece for the show.View attachment 26712
The gallery is 'wanting to chat about the mat'. Thinking they might be worried about liability. Perhaps even choosing the mat options for me.

Have done a new version, simplified. In case I need to hang it. With, lots of white canvas outside the painted area.
IMG_20230102_190842_1-02.jpeg

No such thing as too much yellow in my book. :) OH, and I absolutely LOVE this painting!!! ♥️

Sometimes a gallery has some say on how to frame and present work. That's pretty normal.

The gallery is 'wanting to chat about the mat'. Thinking they might be worried about liability. Perhaps even choosing the mat options for me.

Have done a new version, simplified. In case I need to hang it. With, lots of white canvas outside the painted area.View attachment 27333
considering the shapelanguage, i liked the first one better, it carried accross the meaning of "fair winds"
Deepening the blue too much takes this feeling away. I dont know if there is a right solution, this must be artisticly hard so you musn't work for small money.

considering the shapelanguage, i liked the first one better, it carried accross the meaning of "fair winds"
Deepening the blue too much takes this feeling away. I dont know if there is a right solution, this must be artisticly hard so you musn't work for small money.
Thanks for your thoughts. Have done a number 3 now.
'artistically hard' ... excruciatingly painful :) for me! I don't charge a lot. Hopefully will be able to one day.

Back