Woodstock

Arnie

mini-2.JPG

I normally paint from ref photos, but this one is 100% imagination inspired by Joni Mitchell’s Woodstock:
I came upon a child of God
He was walking along the road
And I asked him where are you going
And this he told me
I'm going on down to Yasgur's farm
I'm going to join in a rock 'n' roll band
I'm going to camp out on the land
I'm going to try an' get my soul free

We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

Then can I walk beside you
I have come here to lose the smog
And I feel to be a cog in something turning
Well maybe it is just the time of year
Or maybe it's the time of man
I don't know who I am
But you know life is for learning
…….
And everywhere there was song and celebration
And I dreamed I saw the bombers
Riding shotgun in the sky
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation
…. Full lyrics Joni Mitchell - Woodstock - lyrics

I read it as it being about a person trying to get back to the garden, who meets someone excited by their dream, and realizes their dreams by walking besides them, joining others along the way in song and celebration. So I was trying to imagine this encounter.

I’d previously seen the Thomas Traherne windows in Hereford Cathedral, and thought Thomas would make an interesting ‘child of God’, and the guy on the left with the feeling of being ‘a cog in something turning’, another figure from the windows.

A quick google of Traherne revealed he was a 17th century parson with a philosophy that we can choose to be happy by seeing the richness of the moment, rather than choosing to be miserable by chasing after false goods, and that being a people pleaser was bad for our mental health.

Traherne also wrote about imagination bringing us back to that secret garden we lost, which takes us nicely back to Mitchell’s song.

I found this blog quite informative: Why I love Thomas Traherne

C&C Appreciated, Thanks for looking. Arnie

Sennellier Oil Pastel on Card 30x40cm

You illustrated that song, or the feeling of the song, so well, Arnie! I've never heard of Thomas Traherne and am reading the link you sent. It's some deep stuff but very interesting to think we've been wrestling with these thoughts for centuries.

What a wonderful inspiration! I just love it. Excellent work with those Senns! ❤️

Thomas Traherne was a brilliant poet almost lost to history. Many of his original manuscripts were only discovered in the 20th century. A good number have yet to be properly edited and published. The best edition of his work that I have seen (and that is still quite incomplete) was the Penguin Books edition of his Selected Poems and Prose which is currently out of print. I'm glad I have a copy. Traherne's poetry was before its time... quite visionary and challenging the accepted religious beliefs. As some critics have suggested, he was the William Blake of the 17th century. Now I wish I could find the Traherne volume... but it's likely packed away in storage. :mad:

Last edited:
BEAUTIFUL!!! ♥️

I love that you did this, and in this wonderful way. It's inspiring. I love the magic this holds.

I have written poetry inspired by her songs, and I have made all kinds of art while listening to her music, too. You've really captured so much in this. I want her to see it somehow.

Nicely imagined! The scene also captures what seems to be exactly what Joni Mitchell meant in her song.

You illustrated that song, or the feeling of the song, so well, Arnie! I've never heard of Thomas Traherne and am reading the link you sent. It's some deep stuff but very interesting to think we've been wrestling with these thoughts for centuries.
Thanks Donna. yes the feeling of the song was my aim. Were still not at peace, and seems his philosophy has been ignored by the main stream leaders.

Thomas Traherne was a brilliant poet almost lost to history. Many of his original manuscripts were only discovered in the 20th century. A good number have yet to be properly edited and published. The best edition of his work that I have seen (and that is still quite incomplete) was the Penguin Books edition of his Selected Poems and Prose which is currently out of print. I'm glad I have a copy. Traherne's poetry was before its time... quite visionary and challenging the accepted religious beliefs. As some critics have suggested, he was the William Blake of the 17th century. Now I wish I could find the Traherne volume... but it's likely packed away in storage. :mad:
Thanks stLukesGuide. Poems and prose are not my thing, but I will get his centries.

BEAUTIFUL!!! ♥️

I love that you did this, and in this wonderful way. It's inspiring. I love the magic this holds.

I have written poetry inspired by her songs, and I have made all kinds of art while listening to her music, too. You've really captured so much in this. I want her to see it somehow.
Thanks Ayin. I been listening to Joni quite a bit recently, especially when painting. I got her greatest hits CD, and then Blue and Court & Spark. Guess I'm a lonely painter, live in a box of paints. Her words are very deep - would be wonderful to get her opinion.

Some time back I posted one of Thomas Traherne's finest poems, Wonder, here as well as a brief history:

Wonder

How like an angel came I down!
How bright are all things here!
When first among his works I did appear
O how their glory me did crown!
The world resembled his eternity,
In which my soul did walk;
And ev’ry thing that I did see
Did with me talk.

The skies in their magnificence,
The lively, lovely air;
Oh how divine, how soft, how sweet, how fair!
The stars did entertain my sense,
And all the works of God, so bright and pure,
So rich and great did seem,
As if they ever must endure
In my esteem.

A native health and innocence
Within my bones did grow,
And while my God did all his glories show,
I felt a vigour in my sense
That was all spirit. I within did flow
With seas of life, like wine;
I nothing in the world did know
But ’twas divine.

Harsh ragged objects were conceal’d,
Oppressions tears and cries,
Sins, griefs, complaints, dissensions, weeping eyes
Were hid, and only things reveal’d
Which heav’nly spirits, and the angels prize.
The state of innocence
And bliss, not trades and poverties,
Did fill my sense.

The streets were pav’d with golden stones,
The boys and girls were mine,
Oh how did all their lovely faces shine!
The sons of men were holy ones,
In joy and beauty they appear’d to me,
And every thing which here I found,
While like an angel I did see,
Adorn’d the ground.

Rich diamond and pearl and gold
In ev’ry place was seen;
Rare splendours, yellow, blue, red, white and green,
Mine eyes did everywhere behold.
Great wonders cloth’d with glory did appear,
Amazement was my bliss,
That and my wealth was ev’ry where:
No joy to this!

Curs’d and devis’d proprieties,
With envy, avarice
And fraud, those fiends that spoil even Paradise,
Flew from the splendour of mine eyes,
And so did hedges, ditches, limits, bounds,
I dream’d not aught of those,
But wander’d over all men’s grounds,
And found repose.

Proprieties themselves were mine,
And hedges ornaments;
Walls, boxes, coffers, and their rich contents
Did not divide my joys, but all combine.
Clothes, ribbons, jewels, laces, I esteem’d
My joys by others worn:
For me they all to wear them seem’d
When I was born.

Thomas Traherne was a fascinating visionary poet (1637-1674) who might have been a precursor to William Blake, Wordsworth, Thoreau, and even Walt Whitman... had his work been known. Traherne published only one text during his lifetime, an obscure tract arguing fine points of Catholic law.

In 1896 two manuscripts were purchased by a hymnologist from a London bookstall. One contained 37 poems in Traherne's own handwriting, the other contained Traherne's masterpiece, Centuries of Meditations. The author of both was not identified until the early 20th century. A few years later, another manuscript was discovered in the British Museum. This manuscript was written in another hand, but contained variations of the poems in the first manuscript as well as 40 other poems. Two more manuscripts by Traherne were discovered decades later: Select Meditations in 1964, and Commentaries of Heaven in 1967 found in a burning London trash heap. The whole of Traherne's oeuvre was not identified until 1982.

Unfortunately, Traherne was not served well by the two people who were his literary executors: his brother Philip Traherne and Susanna Hopton. Philip was a clergyman like Thomas, and Susanna was the leader of a religious society. Both sought not to properly see to the publication of Thomas' literary efforts, but rather to publish the works in an effort to aid in the reader's salvation. Philip, whose hand was that of the manuscript found in the British Museum, sought to "improve" his brother's literary efforts according to the standards of the age, and more importantly, to tame his often radical (like William Blake) theology. When Susanna, a quarter-century after Thomas' death, offered another Traherne volume (Thanksgivings) for publication, she didn't even inform the publisher that she was not the author!

I seriously need to dig through the books I have in storage and find my volume on Traherne as I have been doing a good deal of reading of poetry and short fiction once again.

Some time back I posted one of Thomas Traherne's finest poems, Wonder, here as well as a brief history:

Wonder

How like an angel came I down!
How bright are all things here!
When first among his works I did appear
O how their glory me did crown!
The world resembled his eternity,
In which my soul did walk;
And ev’ry thing that I did see
Did with me talk.

The skies in their magnificence,
The lively, lovely air;
Oh how divine, how soft, how sweet, how fair!
The stars did entertain my sense,
And all the works of God, so bright and pure,
So rich and great did seem,
As if they ever must endure
In my esteem.

A native health and innocence
Within my bones did grow,
And while my God did all his glories show,
I felt a vigour in my sense
That was all spirit. I within did flow
With seas of life, like wine;
I nothing in the world did know
But ’twas divine.

Harsh ragged objects were conceal’d,
Oppressions tears and cries,
Sins, griefs, complaints, dissensions, weeping eyes
Were hid, and only things reveal’d
Which heav’nly spirits, and the angels prize.
The state of innocence
And bliss, not trades and poverties,
Did fill my sense.

The streets were pav’d with golden stones,
The boys and girls were mine,
Oh how did all their lovely faces shine!
The sons of men were holy ones,
In joy and beauty they appear’d to me,
And every thing which here I found,
While like an angel I did see,
Adorn’d the ground.

Rich diamond and pearl and gold
In ev’ry place was seen;
Rare splendours, yellow, blue, red, white and green,
Mine eyes did everywhere behold.
Great wonders cloth’d with glory did appear,
Amazement was my bliss,
That and my wealth was ev’ry where:
No joy to this!

Curs’d and devis’d proprieties,
With envy, avarice
And fraud, those fiends that spoil even Paradise,
Flew from the splendour of mine eyes,
And so did hedges, ditches, limits, bounds,
I dream’d not aught of those,
But wander’d over all men’s grounds,
And found repose.

Proprieties themselves were mine,
And hedges ornaments;
Walls, boxes, coffers, and their rich contents
Did not divide my joys, but all combine.
Clothes, ribbons, jewels, laces, I esteem’d
My joys by others worn:
For me they all to wear them seem’d
When I was born.

Thomas Traherne was a fascinating visionary poet (1637-1674) who might have been a precursor to William Blake, Wordsworth, Thoreau, and even Walt Whitman... had his work been known. Traherne published only one text during his lifetime, an obscure tract arguing fine points of Catholic law.

In 1896 two manuscripts were purchased by a hymnologist from a London bookstall. One contained 37 poems in Traherne's own handwriting, the other contained Traherne's masterpiece, Centuries of Meditations. The author of both was not identified until the early 20th century. A few years later, another manuscript was discovered in the British Museum. This manuscript was written in another hand, but contained variations of the poems in the first manuscript as well as 40 other poems. Two more manuscripts by Traherne were discovered decades later: Select Meditations in 1964, and Commentaries of Heaven in 1967 found in a burning London trash heap. The whole of Traherne's oeuvre was not identified until 1982.

Unfortunately, Traherne was not served well by the two people who were his literary executors: his brother Philip Traherne and Susanna Hopton. Philip was a clergyman like Thomas, and Susanna was the leader of a religious society. Both sought not to properly see to the publication of Thomas' literary efforts, but rather to publish the works in an effort to aid in the reader's salvation. Philip, whose hand was that of the manuscript found in the British Museum, sought to "improve" his brother's literary efforts according to the standards of the age, and more importantly, to tame his often radical (like William Blake) theology. When Susanna, a quarter-century after Thomas' death, offered another Traherne volume (Thanksgivings) for publication, she didn't even inform the publisher that she was not the author!

I seriously need to dig through the books I have in storage and find my volume on Traherne as I have been doing a good deal of reading of poetry and short fiction once again.
Thanks for your long informative post. The poem is beautiful. I got a copy of Centuries last week. I've found my dictionary useful, but it is quite readable, although a few reads of sentences are occasionally required to unpick them. I'm up to century 1-30 which covers the stuff I've previously read. He is quite radical in his writing.

Court & Spart is one of my favorites. ♥️ I love her paintings too. ♥️
I got Blue and then Court & Spark quite recently, and just got Ladies of the Canyon as it has Woodstock so dont have a preference yet myself. I started with Dreamland (Greatest hits) which I've had for ages - will get one of her later albums next - do you have a suggestion?
Shes done some lovely paintings. I like her use of figures in landscapes, and humor, and the ice/cold scenes are quite special. Shes very talented, and put the time in over the years to mature. Looking at her paintings from the 60s got me thinking about my own journey which has had a 30+ year gap!

I got Blue and then Court & Spark quite recently, and just got Ladies of the Canyon as it has Woodstock so dont have a preference yet myself. I started with Dreamland (Greatest hits) which I've had for ages - will get one of her later albums next - do you have a suggestion?
Shes done some lovely paintings. I like her use of figures in landscapes, and humor, and the ice/cold scenes are quite special. Shes very talented, and put the time in over the years to mature. Looking at her paintings from the 60s got me thinking about my own journey which has had a 30+ year gap!
My all-time fav is The Hissing of Summer Lawns (1975). The ones from 76, 77, and 79 are just as good though.

I don't know much later than stuff in the 80s, but in that era, I'd choose Wild Things Run Fast (82) or maybe Dog Eat Dog (85). I've been meaning to check out some of her work in the 2000s, but still haven't.

I think all those mid/late 70s records have Jaco Pastorius on them, who was my favorite bass player.

Thanks Ayin. I'll try and listen to those. Dreamland has some orchestral versions of her early works which are very good, and later stuff which i'm yet to explore.(y)

My all-time fav is The Hissing of Summer Lawns (1975). The ones from 76, 77, and 79 are just as good though.

I don't know much later than stuff in the 80s, but in that era, I'd choose Wild Things Run Fast (82) or maybe Dog Eat Dog (85). I've been meaning to check out some of her work in the 2000s, but still haven't.

I think all those mid/late 70s records have Jaco Pastorius on them, who was my favorite bass player.
I didnt click reply first - see my reply above.

Back