Winsford Gardens - acrylic on canvas 10/8in

drizzlewither

This is a little local park that I sometimes do gardening volunteering at. It used to be some rich person's fancy Victorian-era garden before the public got their hands on it so there are some rare old fruit trees (quince! who even eats those any more??)

acrylic-wg.png

If I could do-over I would like to have a figure somewhere for scale and friendliness but I was so intent on getting the bands of light and dark that nothing else mattered at the time.

Up on the wall you go my friend

---

I went to look for a composition that might work and just ended up choosing the entrance, it was some time past midday with clouds drifting and when the sun briefly came out BAM! that path pattern. I did a couple of ratty biro thumbnails in my sketchbook then the sun went away :( and I had to wait around for 10 mins doodling leaves and flowers until it came back... quickly grabbed photos and ran off home. Wasn't confident enough in the weather to do any proper drawing on scene

acrylic-pgg-photo.png

back home did values and color study

pgg-pre.png

and that was my reference materials

Ooooh, I love the studies as much as the finished piece. GREAT shadows here. Very well done! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

This is gorgeous - I love the lighting and the muted palette. Thanks for showing us your studies too - they are lovely!

Thanks guys :) I'm still so new to this stuff it means a lot!

Really seeing from my Inktober experiences as well - doing at least a preliminary value study helps me a ton. If I make all the dumb mistakes first in studies I can better avoid them in the main event. I think I will be doing that forever now.

Thanks so much for showing us your studies! They are great and the finished painting is gorgeous! I don't mind the lack of figures at all - the beautiful bands of light are plenty enough for me!

Beautiful work - I love the subtlety of the colours. Thanks for showing your studies, too. It's really interesting to see how they informed your painting, and you definitely succeeded in capturing the play of light.

Beautiful final work, and the studies are very interesting and good.

I guess I am the only one that sees two indistinct people down the path just under the big lighter overhang.

Beautiful final work, and the studies are very interesting and good.

I guess I am the only one that sees two indistinct people down the path just under the big lighter overhang.

Hah! yeah I can't see that and I painted it! I keep staring at it now trying to find what you spotted. maybe it's my attempt at tree-trunks. :)

Beautiful painting. Thanks for giving your steps and showing how you developed it. Wonderful finish.

Back