Why are paint caps made like this?

Let us know how that turns out.
Nada. Stuff peels right off. I think these caps are made with polypropylene: a wonderful, fully recyclable plastic that is both chem resistant, and sticks to absolutely nothing.

Zen, that's a cool idea. Unfortunately without a trip to said Big Box, they only work for me like this:
20211210_191832.jpg

Of course, I have every size but the ones that fit...

Damn you Golden, I thought you were better than this!
View attachment 14756
Basically this is happend when you push down hard to close the cap. as i heard once some suggesting "its oil's, you must close hard". then if you dont want to close hard and have the caps in good condition plus the surrounding area of the cap to be less messy with paint, just learn to squeeze out from the tube the amount you need and cut it with knife instead smash it on the palette then squeeze softly back so the paint will move inside the tube.

Basically this is happend when you push down hard to close the cap. as i heard once some suggesting "its oil's, you must close hard". then if you dont want to close hard and have the caps in good condition plus the surrounding area of the cap to be less messy with paint, just learn to squeeze out from the tube the amount you need and cut it with knife instead smash it on the palette then squeeze softly back so the paint will move inside the tube.
I agree with the paint tube dicipline. I do the palette scrape thing, but the knife idea is a good one. I don't press on my caps, but I do tighten them pretty hard.

Zen, that's a cool idea. Unfortunately without a trip to said Big Box, they only work for me like this:
View attachment 14861

Of course, I have every size but the ones that fit...
Inverted? That's one way to make it do, maybe better. Of course you have every size but the one that fits. My shop has jars full of things that are almost the right size ;)

The cap grip portion of one of my Winsor and newton oil tubes just broke apart piece by piece. The cap wasn't, and has never been stuck, and the brittle parts weren't in contact with anything apart from air. A find of plastic rot if you will. Fortunately the cap still works and still air sealing the paint. Very weird.

I've been lazy about finding a cap solution, so I've just been putting my tubes that don't have caps anymore into plastic ziplock baggies. Seems to be a decent solution for now.

Something that works for me is to mix up a blob of epoxy putty, about the size of a grape. Just after mixing the two components, when the putty is at its softest stage, I press it firmly onto the threads of the tube from all sides and mould it into a ball around the threads. After some time, when the epoxy putty has become very stiff, I gently unscrew the mass and re-screw it onto the tube to ensure that it does not stick. After about 6 hours the putty is completely hard and the epoxy putty cap works as well as the original cap.

Back