What grit sandpaper for sharpening blending stumps?

16ga

I ordered some blending stumps but there's no way I'm paying for a sharpener when I have stacks of sandpaper in the wood shop. So what grit is best for sharpening/cleaning these things?

If they're particularly worn down, you could begin with something coarse to get the paper to respond for the shape you're after. Once you have attained that, you can fine-tune with a finer grit to smooth it out.

thanks. I wont be able to experiment intil it gets here.
I should have 400.

I have tried sharpening mine with a sharpener but it is not close to satisfactory. I may try the sandpaper and see what I think.

Edit: I just picked up a piece of 100 grit that I happened to have right here and sanded one of my larger stumps. It is a little fuzzy but it worked fine. I will bring in some finer grit later and see if I can smooth it, but it should work fine as is.

I tried a piece of 320 and it did quite nicely. Still a bit fuzzy until you smooth it with fingers but no problem there. I use a lot of small stumps that come 4 to a pack and even though they are not wrapped as tightly as the larger ones, they came back to a point pretty well too. I have one that is about like a pencil, sharpened on both ends and it pointed very well. I have one very large one that I haven't tried yet. It is about a half inch in diameter and should point out very well. Best to you!

Back