What are you reading now? (books, authors)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. ...and with a little knowledge about tremor and neurology I self-diagnosed Parkinson's due to the timing on one of the tremor in my forearm. Saw my PCP shortly there after and he put me through a moderately through diagnosis and concluded no Parkinson's and mild to moderate Essential Tremor. I've since seen a neurologists who confirmed ET.

I used to be able to "get around it" with 40mg of Propranolol, a beta blocker, but I had a medical scare last autumn and checked into ET with a heart rate of 25. The triage nurse who did my check-in EKG mentioned 'a block' to no one in particular. I have visions of stints being inserted. My good humor was further tested when after I was in bed with a continuous monitor that was skipping almost every other heart beat another nurse applied defibrillation pads. Thankfully they were never used. In the end, the beta blocker level dropped enough for my heart rate to return to 'normal' and I was discharged. A followup with a Cardiologists confirmed; "no more beta blockers", so I shake a lot and have limited drawing/painting abilities. Such is life with Essential Tremor.

I continue my own personal research and have participated in 3 clinical trials so far search for a treatment for ET with no promising results so far.

Edit: I had a very brief look a PNP. Oddly, Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is recommended as a treatment option. The odd bit to me is TENS is what I use to power my ET treatment device.
It's true about only having a little knowledge about tremor and neurology being a bit dangerous. I don't only have a little. I have enough to know you'll never get two neurologists to agree on anything.

In any case, we are getting way off topic, and I'm happy to talk about these things in a PM.

My first doctor when I was a kid invented something like TENS and used it on me. Later, it was accredited to a different inventor. Beta-blockers should be taking your heart rate down, not up. I was able to diagnose my mom's Lewy body when everyone else thought it was Parkinson's. I've seen about 20 neurologists for my own neurological stuff and have read up on dozens of reasons for "symptoms" and how to test for various illnesses. It certainly is complicated, and there are no black-and-white answers to any of these things, so it's always hard to find treatments since everyone responds differently. TENS doesn't work for my ET at all, or any of its other recommended uses.

Last edited:
View attachment 41302

StLukes will be glad to hear that I'm reading some poetry. Of course, I'm mostly just looking at the pictures. :)
The pictures are great though. A lot of my friends at school liked Flower Fairies but I never liked them at the time because I've never been into fairies. If I had paid attention back then, I'd probably have got into botany a lot sooner.

I've been recently reading Lewis Carroll's Alice books once again... while still reading Ovid's Metamorphoses as well. I have the Annotated Alice which comes with a wealth of footnotes as well as the original Tenniel illustrations. These are fine, but I far prefer those of Arthur Rackham. I just saw one of these in person a few days ago at the Cleveland Museum.

alice11.jpg

1200px-Alice_in_Wonderland_by_Arthur_Rackham_-_15_-_At_this_the_whole_pack_rose_up_into_the_ai...jpg

As my interest in Greco-Roman myth has been reignited I just ordered Robert Graves' The Greek Myths which includes multiple variations of the myths. I have ordered the new version below...

9780143106715.jpg

... but I quite like the illustrations by Grahame Baker from an older hardback edition...

110545.jpg

gm9.600.jpg

... interestingly enough Grahame Baker also made some lovely illustrations for Alice in Wonderland...

71i13XoDjLL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The pictures are great though. A lot of my friends at school liked Flower Fairies but I never liked them at the time because I've never been into fairies. If I had paid attention back then, I'd probably have got into botany a lot sooner.

Indeed, I enjoy them as much for the botanical art as for the fairies.

Botticelli's Primavera has been my favorite painting for quite some time. Beyond the mathematics, the figures, the renewal of classical mythology, etc... I have long been impressed by the fact that Primavera contains over 200 types of identifiable flowers, all exquisitely and accurately rendered. Each type of flower Botticelli chose was common to Italy and bloomed in May, so Botticelli probably painted from live samples.

Botticelli-primaverawiki.medium.small.jpg

Right now I'm re-reading One Mind by Larry Dossey, MD but in a few days I'm going to be reading a book called Long Haul by Frank Figliuzzi, a retired FBI guy. Its about his researching the serial killers who drive long haul trucking, of which there are many, many because they're so hard to trace. I've ordered the book and tracking says it will be here Friday, but I hope it will come sooner. Figliuzzi rode with a long haul trucker to do his research. I think it's going to be a really interesting book.

While I wait for Long Haul I'm also re-reading parts of The New Evil, which is a fascinating book too. And I still haven't read Real Magic by Dean Radin, PhD. I'll get that one read after I read Long Haul.

I’ve started listening to audiobooks while I paint and joined something called Hoopla through my library. So now I can search, save, borrow, download, and return books, all in simple little tablet taps. I'm sure I'm late to this new technology but anything that saves me from driving around these parts...I'm all for. I started listening to this artsy one yesterday:
THE SLIP by Prudence Peiffer

I still like “real” books best though and have always loved my small-town local libraries. But it’s also kind of nice to now have access to a catalog of over a million books to choose from. I can usually find what I want, although I often have to wait awhile for the books to make their way to my particular branch.

I’m number 5 in the queue for this:
FIRE WEATHER by John Vaillant

And I’m number 23 (!!) in the queue for this:
A WALK IN THE PARK by Kevin Fedarko

Finally, I often listen to this person’s podcast and subscribe to her Substack. I like the way she writes and her topics are usually harrowing and slightly depressing political topics. Hate to say they’re kind of up my alley but oh well. Picked this one up today:
THEY KNEW by Sarah Kendzior

I just got two new books: Insubordinate Spirit: A True Story of Life and Loss in Earliest America 1610-1665 by Missy Wolfe.

Also Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, by Harriet Jacobs.

Both these non-fiction books showcase the life of a woman of the time period. I'm not sure which one to tackle first: the Puritan saga or the memoir of a slave. Given my disreputable slave owning ancestors, I am very much interested in the latter, though I expect it to be fairly gut wrenching.

I just got two new books: Insubordinate Spirit: A True Story of Life and Loss in Earliest America 1610-1665 by Missy Wolfe.

Also Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, by Harriet Jacobs.

Both these non-fiction books showcase the life of a woman of the time period. I'm not sure which one to tackle first: the Puritan saga or the memoir of a slave. Given my disreputable slave owning ancestors, I am very much interested in the latter, though I expect it to be fairly gut wrenching.

I think if you take almost any random person on earth today, and you investigate their ancestry, you're going to find both slaves and slave owners, and both colonists and colonized. Humans tend not to be very nice. :)

I don't have very detailed information on my own ancestry, but the earliest ones I could find arrived at the Cape of Good Hope around 1700, at a time when slavery there was rife, and I have little doubt that at least some of them must have owned slaves. My direct male ancestor at the time was a Dutch ship's officer (in which capacity one can only imagine what brutalities he might have taken part in), and then became a well to do businessman, which makes it highly likely that he owned slaves.

Then my ancestors colonized large swathes of what later become South Africa. But in 1899, they themselves became the victims of British imperialism.

And what would I find if I went back far enough into history? Say, to the time of the Roman Empire? Would not surprise me in the least if some of my ancestors were slaves, or ended up murdered during the Empire's persecution of the early Christians, or enthusiastically participated in the persecution, or if most of them during medieval times were peasants, and as such little more than slaves.

In late medieval/Renaissance times, they became victims of imperialism, when the Spanish dominated the Netherlands. I also have French Huguenot ancestry, i.e. some of my ancestors were victims of religious persecution, and indeed arrived at the Cape as refugees with little more than the shirts on their backs. There, they promptly worked themselves into the upper middle classes and (probably) started owning slaves, almost as if they did not learn a single thing from being victimized. :)

So it goes with our blighted species. I have long ago given up on both perpetual guilt and perpetual victimhood. :D

I have long ago given up on both perpetual guilt and perpetual victimhood. :D
Hear hear! Although, that's nothing I had to give up, per se, since I never experienced those reactions. Aside from personal annoyance with those who chose to keep certain parts of the family saga hidden from me, I'm fully aware and at peace with the fact that I had nothing to do with it.

Still, that has little to do with wanting to learn more about those conditions, and the experiences of those who lived it. It's history, and it happened. I have curiosity about it, the good, bad and the ugly. :)

I guess I'm a white person. I don't always feel like I'm white, and also feel like I have no right to say that either. Maybe because I've experienced a number of forms of discrimination. Maybe because I've always been a close ally of people of color. (That still gives me no "right" to say I'm NOT white--which I'm not saying, nor does it give me a right to say I can fully understand the same discrimination non-white people face.)

All of that is a preface to this opinion: I don't think anyone, anyone anywhere, has ever demanded perpetual guilt or victimhood. I've never witnessed it. I've only experienced suggestions and cries for understanding and awareness. Patient ones at that.

To ignore that, even from many generations ago, slavery hasn't aided whites their privilege in all aspects of society (large and small), would be turning a blind eye. There's nothing you can do about the past, correct. It's useless to feel guilty. It's not useful to feel like a victim. But what would be helpful to change the present and the future? I think that's what people of color and people with a long history of slavery in their family might be asking of the people who have benefitted from it.

If this post/opinion turns divisive, I'll remove it. No problem. But also in my opinion, it might be very telling.

I have long ago given up on both perpetual guilt and perpetual victimhood. :D

This wins the award for "Most self-aggrandizing, empty statement that could only be made from a place of privilege." Trust me, no one expects you to harbor any guilt.

Perhaps this should remain a book thread and not devolve into a justification or minimization of slavery or any other celebration of backward ideas. Thanks.

This wins the award for "Most self-aggrandizing, empty statement that could only be made from a place of privilege." Trust me, no one expects you to harbor any guilt.

Perhaps this should remain a book thread and not devolve into a justification or minimization of slavery or any other celebration of backward ideas. Thanks.

For the record, my opinion is that of all the evil things people have done to other people, slavery is among the very worst. But since this topic is apparently a sensitive one, I'll leave it there.

I just bought this. I’ve read good reviews. It just came out.
IMG_4462.jpeg

It’s good so far. It interviews artists and the interviews are 2-4 pages so it doesn’t take long to read. The pictures are WIPs and the finished result. Moss wrote one on Sophia Coppola, most jolting (his word) director I know. Also articles on music and comedy artists, screenwriters. The one on Kara Walker is super.

Back