Wassily Kandinsky

john

He was of course one of the first to do abstract art. It seems he's recently been a bit usurped by Hilma af Klint because she was earlier to produce totally non-representational art. But was it. She was trying to represent the ideas of Theosophy. Her paintings are interesting but leave me a little cold. They seem too organized and patterned or something for my tastes.

When I think of Kandinsky I think about the purely abstract paintings he is known for. But recently I've stumbled on his landscapes painted around the same time and I guess I've seen them before, but they really seem to grab me now. As a landscape artist that also likes abstracts but feel they are often "too abstract" I'm finding these abstracted landscapes of his very interesting and attractive.

This website of his works is nice. https://www.wassilykandinsky.net/

So.....comments? ..... other than I have no taste and am too opinionated which I already know. :)

I particularly like his landscape, "The Blue Rider," which seems so dynamic and tinged with mystery, and I like some of his paintings that were on the edge of going beyond representation.

He was of course one of the first to do abstract art. It seems he's recently been a bit usurped by Hilma af Klint because she was earlier to produce totally non-representational art. But was it. She was trying to represent the ideas of Theosophy. Her paintings are interesting but leave me a little cold. They seem too organized and patterned or something for my tastes.

When I think of Kandinsky I think about the purely abstract paintings he is known for. But recently I've stumbled on his landscapes painted around the same time and I guess I've seen them before, but they really seem to grab me now. As a landscape artist that also likes abstracts but feel they are often "too abstract" I'm finding these abstracted landscapes of his very interesting and attractive.

So.....comments? ..... other than I have no taste and am too opinionated which I already know. :)
The early landscapes are wonderful IMHO and I think of them often as I paint. The later abstracts and music paintings are beyond me.

I was looking at a few and started strumming Baby's In Black ..Beatles. Too funny the nerves some colours strike.

This is actually a better source for a variety of them https://www.google.com/search?q=kan...2AI&bih=571&biw=1229&rlz=1CAYGYA_enUS833US833

I like this one for some reason. It's a bit strange but beautiful.

I would like to try and do some paintings with his style.

Ladies in Crinolines, 1909​

1639528465790.png

Last edited:
Yeah that's a good one Wayne. There are so many good ones it's hard to find favorites.

1639532006907.jpeg

I agree with Trier about the early landscapes being wonderful and the later abstracts being beyond me. Maybe it’s just me but I see a VanGogh influence in this one.

1903, 1903, 1906, 1909. I love the painting of Gabriele Munter painting because it's a painting of Gabriele Munter painting :)
bluerider.jpggabriele-munter-painting-1903.jpgchurch-munich.jpgblaue.jpg

There is a (probably apocryphal) story that Marcel Breuer dedicated his wonderful chair to Kandinsky. It is now commonly known as the Wassily Chair. I have two in my collection. People who see them for the first time think they are uncomfortable, but I always enjoy seeing their expressions when they try them and see how lovely they are to sit in.

I think the chair is a great tribute to a wonderful artist.

Wassily Chair 1.jpg

Believe me, Kandinsky was among the very first artists I have ever loved. But maybe his "purely abstract" work didn't represent anything in particular because he had already seen af Kint's work in hand-colored photographs before he embarked on them. If you look at the ones he had, it is too incredible to believe he wasn't inspired by her concepts, which he either knew or didn't know how she arrived at getting there (through theology or not, but near impossible to believe her didn't). Kandinsky's work had similar symbolism, geometry, and if you look closely at the Primordial Chaos Series from 1907 and 1908, and how the transparent colors and shapes fade into one other, these are of particular of interest. I couldn't believe it when I saw it either. Who knows what other photos Steiner brought to Kandinsky.

Also, Kandinsky was absolutely interested in theosophy during the same years as Hilma af Klint was, so when Steiner made him aware of her and the meaning of her paintings, it's not far-fetched to believe her work was of particular interest to him as was the symbolism in her work.

What's additionally interesting is the body of work she went on to make after she was devastated by Steiner's discouraging comments that made her quit for four years. Unaware of Kandinsky completely, her work looked even more similar in 1915 to what he and his Blue Rider's group began producing when she picked back up, which could have been coincidence, or maybe not, but those guys all knew each other of course. Although, this phenomenon happens in science all the time--people working independently unaware of each other but producing the same or similar results. That is also possible. We can't rule that out.

I feel, personally, af Klint's work, if compared to Kandinsky, is a lot for feminine than his was. But that's maybe to be expected. In that regard I can appreciate it for what it is. Certain pieces flow nicer, whereas some of Kandinsky's I prefer better. They come from two completely different upbringings and world views overall. I have studied way more about him than her, but when I learned of her, I was pretty fascinated.

Before her abstract work, she did pretty traditional landscapes:

5660faf29fe18f76e66d26956b12cdcb.jpg

But I particularly love this one because of the sky and the tall grass:

art-hilma-af-klint-summer-landscape-sommarlanskap-1888.jpg

Kandinsky will always be a "first love" of mine. I discovered him even before Klee, who is probably my biggest influence of all time.

Very interesting Ayin. Those landscapes are beautiful. Not sure I've seen that side of her works.

It is interesting that in the arts that when looked at more closely, those artists labeled "pioneers" were rarely (never?) really the first and only. It seems that they all sort of led each other around as new ground was found. These "pioneers" advance with the help of their peers. Klint's works look a lot like Islamic art.

as far as theosophy and art https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosophy_and_visual_arts#Kandinsky

I'd like to learn more about theosophy.

I hadn't seen the Kandinsky landscape before it is wonderful, oh that sky. Kandinsky was one of the first exhibitions I saw after I started to get interested in art, we were not given much in the way of art lessons at school.
Interesting thread :)

Very interesting to hear about Hilma af Klint, I wasn't aware that she was the first one to go into total abstraction.
I have to admit I do favor Kandinskys early work more than his later.
His early work is also deeply inspired by Bavarian folk art, which is most obvious in his works done while he stayed in Murnau from 1909 to 1914. He and Gabriele Münter lived there in the so called Russian house, which is a little museum now.
There are not many paintings from Kandinsky in it, but he and Münter painted on nearly every furniture, the staircases, walls etc. Very funny to see.
I do not find the photos from the rooms inside I made, but I painted the house itself.
DSC00601_2_small.jpg

Back