Twisted Torus

Hermes2020

This is the maquette for a new metal sculpture called Twisted Torus I am working on. The maquette is 900 mm high, but the final piece may be twice the size, depending on the location where it will be installed.

Twisted Torus 2.jpg

Twisted Torus 1.jpg

Very cool indeed. What material?

Thanks, it's only a maquette to make sure that the shapes fit together properly, so I cut the profiles out of cardboard. The metallic look was achieved with a rub-on product called Inka Gold. I quite like the texture given by the corrugated cardboard, but the finished sculpture will probably be made from smooth stainless steel.

Thanks, it's only a maquette to make sure that the shapes fit together properly, so I cut the profiles out of cardboard. The metallic look was achieved with a rub-on product called Inka Gold. I quite like the texture given by the corrugated cardboard, but the finished sculpture will probably be made from smooth stainless steel.

I should have specified that I meant what material the actual sculpture would be made of. Stainless should work very well.

Beautiful! Stainless will be stunning but something textured like this would really be great.

Yeah for what it's worth I can visualize that being cooler. But have fun hammering stainless-- or do you farm that out?

Yeah for what it's worth I can visualize that being cooler. But have fun hammering stainless-- or do you farm that out?

I have private access to a 5 m CNC, TIG welders, and other skilled artisans in the family-owned manufacturing business, so I will not have to do it myself, thank goodness! We can even do water jet cutting of 20 mm stainless steel. In spite of the virus slow-down at the moment, the guys are so busy with executing orders that my little project will have to wait for now.

Wow, that is cool, to have that kind of access. I've refretted a few guitars with stainless, and all I can say is, your hammer would have to be a hell of a lot harder than mine to put a dent into that stuff.

Back