This was was abandoned a few years sgo

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Contributing Member
but I do fancy giving it another chance :) To many mistakes I haven't got the pastel skills to fix. So, I'm thinking of an edit like the second chance. Any chance for it?
1000011451.jpg
1000011447.jpg

Wow what a strong piece! What mistakes do you mean, Jennie? I love the dramatic background and the way it sets off the figure.

Wow what a strong piece! What mistakes do you mean, Jennie? I love the dramatic background and the way it sets off the figure.
Thanks Donna, I don't like the hands, shadows around face and seat, they're just not sitting well with me. And I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing with the background. .

Jennie, I’m wondering how this would look if you made the background around his head darker on both sides of the painting. I think it might make it look like he’s emerging from darkness into the light if you extended the black shadow shapes. I like the bright yellow area on his left side but it might be drawing too much attention. His right hand might just need a few dark accents between the fingers to define them. I hope you don’t mind my thoughts and I know you can always try out changes digitally to see what feels right.

Jennie, I’m wondering how this would look if you made the background around his head darker on both sides of the painting. I think it might make it look like he’s emerging from darkness into the light if you extended the black shadow shapes. I like the bright yellow area on his left side but it might be drawing too much attention. His right hand might just need a few dark accents between the fingers to define them. I hope you don’t mind my thoughts and I know you can always try out changes digitally to see what feels right.
Mind your thoughts. Never. Many thanks for them. I have worked on the hands, they're 'better', not sure if they're 'well' yet. I love the idea of more shadow, and totally agree with the yellow. I'll have to do it again somewhere else. It just takes over here.

I really like the original, warts and all... except I don¨t see any warts. Its a powerful moody piece and things such as hands and anatomical detail do not really enter into the expressive interpretation. Well done.

I really like the original, warts and all... except I don¨t see any warts. Its a powerful moody piece and things such as hands and anatomical detail do not really enter into the expressive interpretation. Well done.
Many thanks Murray. That's what I was going for, in the beginning. I guess I'll just have to do more in the same vein, to get more confident.

Back