The Library

Bongo

The entry-way to the library.
20230818_141706_copy_800x600.jpg

I've mentioned this before, but one of the frustrating things about Plein Air (for me), is - once you land on a suitable subject, finding a good composition with a clear line of sight can be daunting. Setting up in the lower parking lot was virtually the only unobstructed view available.

the sketch
20230818_142949_copy_600x800.jpg

A car with a small non-stop yapping dog (that looks a lot like my Abby) pulls into the spot next to me. So I figure I'm in for some yapping. But then it stops and I see a lady walking up the incline to the library with a small book bag. No way a dog could fit in that bag, but why don't I hear the dog yapping? I peek in her car, no dog, the dog is NOT in the car??

About ten minutes later, the lady comes back and when she gets to her car --the car is a sedan --- opens the trunk and takes out the dog! Now it wasn't hot that day and she was only gone ten minutes, but no way I would lock a dog in the trunk. The dog didn't seem to have minded and had obviously been thru the routine before, but still... I bit my tongue, the lady bid me ado and drove off.

block in:
20230818_152106_copy_800x600.jpg

The Library - oil on 18" x 14" panel
Library.jpg

comments welcomed

Another nicely done bit of architecture- and your doggy acquaintance was certainly odd- why didn't it bark locked in a car trunk?

Weird. But the painting is great! I like your violet grays.

I agree with J about the dog not barking in the trunk. Hmmm. But the plein air is super! Always good stories..... I'm smiling.

Thanks J and Jo -- good point about the dog not barking in the trunk. dunno. But the dog didn't seem bothered by the ordeal. It was for a short time. Now that I think about it, the dog was barking as they pulled up, not at me. Maybe he was excited because he was going in the trunk where maybe she had doggie treats?

Thanks J and Jo -- good point about the dog not barking in the trunk. dunno. But the dog didn't seem bothered by the ordeal. It was for a short time. Now that I think about it, the dog was barking as they pulled up, not at me. Maybe he was excited because he was going in the trunk where maybe she had doggie treats?
That would at least make dog-sense.

This is so nice! Actually I really like your block ins a lot as well. You are making me look at complex scenes in a new way but it's a good thing you're painting them and not me. I have never heard of putting a dog in the trunk! There are some strange people out there.

I love your "mark-making" and brushstrokes. You have such a distinct voice and style. It's undeniable. This is another great one. The looser you get, the more it seems to be "yours." It's super, Bongo, or Super-Bongo. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Ayin - you're too kind.

Donna, I see now, I think I did a better job with values on the block-in than I did with the painting.

Back