The Cove

john

I wanted to tone down the saturation levels for this one. So I referred to a mixing chart I did years ago. It was a lesson in a book. It was tough but I reduced the palette to just six colors. The Fauvist color junky in me was horrified.

1722213589610.png

1722214006911.png

Watercolor 1/2 sheet Arches 22x15 inches

I keep debating whether to add some rose pink and or orange in the sky area but I'm afraid it will spoil the color harmony. It struck me that it looks a little like a Chinese landscape which I'm quite pleased about. That was not intentional. The water features are weird but it's supposed to be an abstract so....as it is it got too real.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited:
I like this palette of colors, John, and the painting does have a Chinese landscape look. Is it due to the misty, undefined edges of some of the shapes? I think it’s a beautiful effect! I know what you mean about how hard it is to keep an abstract from becoming real, haha. It’s a gorgeous painting and I’m glad you gave it plenty of space with the half sheet.

Beautiful, soft palette - you definitely achieved your goal. There's just enough definition in the background to suggest a landscape, but aside from that it comes across as abstract. The lightness of the colors helps it stay undefined.

Very nice work!

Sorry John; I don't get this type of painting but I do see some real nice passages mixed in there. I guess I just can't see it as a whole.

I like this palette of colors, John, and the painting does have a Chinese landscape look. Is it due to the misty, undefined edges of some of the shapes? I think it’s a beautiful effect! I know what you mean about how hard it is to keep an abstract from becoming real, haha. It’s a gorgeous painting and I’m glad you gave it plenty of space with the half sheet.

Thanks Donna. Glad you like it. Yeah the misty mountain look I guess. This one is in the Met. I've always liked them. My Mom liked them - we had a couple around the house - so I guess it rubbed off on me.

1722389633682.png

Beautiful, soft palette - you definitely achieved your goal. There's just enough definition in the background to suggest a landscape, but aside from that it comes across as abstract. The lightness of the colors helps it stay undefined.

Very nice work!

Thanks Terri. Yeah sometimes the problem with watercolors is they lack body but for something like this that's an asset. I might do an acrylic protective coat or wax it, which will add just a bit more contrast.

Sorry John; I don't get this type of painting but I do see some real nice passages mixed in there. I guess I just can't see it as a whole.

No worries Wayne. Not all paintings are for everyone. And the taste for abstracts is highly personal I think. I appreciate your candor. This may be a case where the artist sees it but not some viewers. I see a barrier beach with dunes on the left and the water/coves on the right but I often see this when I take my boat over to Fire Island. Others that are not familiar with this kind of scene may not see that. Thanks for the comment.

Oh and one reason I toned down the saturation was because of your previous comment about the greens being a little strong. Which is something along with high key color in general that I have been getting a little tired of also. So it's your fault. :)

Well now. I don’t see any real but I see lots of little creatures lying around. I think what I don’t get about abstracts is the strong value movements that shape the overall.
As for my fault, 🤣, I was wondering why you needed six colours. The greens in this one are the passages I think very well done.

I agree with Donna, and I think this is absolutely gorgeous, John! I wouldn't mind a little pink, though, since I'm a fan. GREAT job!!! ♥️

Back