Sunset sky

jmfletch

This was a watercolor lesson that I modified. The lesson had a cabin. My wife and I both loved the sky so thought replacing the cabin with a church would make a nice Christmas card, While a good idea the sky still dominates and is not very Christmasy plus my wc skills need lots of improvement. C&C very welcomed.

324D44AE-15FC-4B27-B81B-57D1AF8C4A2D.jpeg

Lovely piece - that sky is beautiful! Maybe bring some of the sky color into the snow to help balance?

I also agree the sky is nice (soft, fresh and colorful) and the idea with a bit more sky colors in the snow. It is quite clear it is snow! The distant mountains are too defined with dark hard edged peaks that draw attention away from the subject church. Toning down the mountains, and more blue/violet as opposed to green would help. You maybe able to re-wet the areas and dab some of the darker values off as an experiment. My tendency too over fiddle with my work leads to over worked paintings, so take my advice "at your own risk". ;)

Thanks Cali Ann. Will try that. Appreciate you

Thanks Joy. You made me laugh with a nice critique followed by a bit of self honesty. Will try toning down the mountains. I am not sure where the green came from unless yellow bled from the sky as I used Prussian Blue with a bit of Purple to paint them.

Lovely. I would have blended the sky a bit more (more wet on wet) but that's just one opinion. I'd do that in order to soften the oranges. But I do like it the way it is too. ♥️

Lovely. I would have blended the sky a bit more (more wet on wet) but that's just one opinion. I'd do that in order to soften the oranges. But I do like it the way it is too. ♥️
Thank Artyczar. Appreciate the support and suggestions.

Well. I love the dramatic sky and the looseness of the piece. It's jazzy!

But packing this visual punch is apparently not what you're after for a Christmas card. ;) Completely understandable, but I still think this is a great little painting on its own! ❤️

Mmmm, I like this. Your watercolor style is coming along. Great sky. I like rich color so this speaks to me.

A very promising piece. You could do a diluted white gouache wash over it all that would tone and mute colors down as well as impart a misty look.

A very promising piece. You could do a diluted white gouache wash over it all that would tone and mute colors down as well as impart a misty look.
Wonderful idea! You have such a creative mind.

Jo - thanks. Appreciate the encouragement

KreativeK - plan on trying the suggestions and depending how they go I might try the gauche glaze which would be a new challenge.

Joe

I love how this turned out and wish I could be as brave with color. If you do the glazing I hope you'll show us how it turns out.

Donna, thank you for taking the time to comment. I am going to try reflecting sky colors in the snow and seeing if I can tone down the mountains first. If that fails I will try the gauche glaze but will be a whole new technique so results wil be iffy.

Joe

Back