Still life with some cotton...

IronPawn

Here we go with a another one... size is 21cm by 29cm or 8" by 11.5". Also, I included the steps as Donna asked in another thread - so, here you go Donna :). This is not what I always do, sometimes I skip drawing part and draw with paint but later stages are pretty much where the fun starts.

Hope all is good and have a good one!

Zoran

Final painting

2nd Pass.jpg

Steps are bellow...

1. Drawing

Drawing.jpg

2. Drawing transfer/Imprimatura - really quick with acrylics just to "kill" the white background

Imprimatura.jpg

3. First pass - laying in some color to fill the space as close as I can get, fixing drawing etc

1st Pass.jpg

4. Second pass and finish - finalizing painting, fixing some drawing, playing with color, changing color if necessary or seems fit, highlights etc.

2nd Pass.jpg

5. Some detail to see - in this case cotton plant

Detail.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and as Mr.Ross would like to say: Happy painting! 😀

Thanks so much for the progression pics! And thanks for sharing your beautiful paintings with us (y)

Wow that's a wonderful demo! Thank you so much, Zoran! It's so very helpful to see the stages of a painting and of course your finished result is just gorgeous. You refrained from adding details until the end; something that I need to work on for sure. The barely-there stems inside the bottle are such a nice touch. May I ask, what did you use to transfer the drawing to your canvas?

Nice painting Zoran. You paint like me except for how we want the end result to look. You, finished, and me, ragged and rough. ☺️

The bottle with the honesty (ages since I've seen that plant) is gorgeous (as is the rest!). Fabulous.

I'm curious about the drawing transfer, as well. It's a wonderful work of art, and I love seeing the progress pictures.

The small lines showing the stems inside the bottle are so lovely. It's all so soft and warm.

Superb work! ❤️

Thank you for showing us your beautiful painting and instructive tutorial, Zoran. Like Wayne, I also follow your classical technique, but with vastly different end results.

Absolutely beautiful ! - and very interesting progress photo's and descriptions.
Thank you for posting this !
Cheers,
Patricia

It's a gorgeous painting. And thank you for sharing your process with us 🙂

Thank you Lamar, my pleasure!

Hey Donna, thank you for your kind comment... as for transfer, I put some charcoal on the back of the drawing (since it is only a schematic drawing, those I do not keep after it's used, no value whatsoever) and simply traced it onto canvas. There is a number of other methods as well. Once charcoal is there, I used acrylics raw umber or burnt umber and lock the drawing and clean the dust with paper towel. Voila! Ready to go.

Hi Wayne, thanks a lot... I am getting into more of a lively brushwork, but need some time to let this one go. Not so easy...

Thank you Ann!

Thank you Martin, yeah those are really cool looking...

Thanks a lot Terri, much appreciated... well, as for transfer, the answer is few lines above :)

Thank you Hermes, really kind of you... if you need anything that I could be of help, feel free to ask. Not an expert by any mean, but probably can point out few things to cut the learning curve.

Thank you Patricia!

Hello Kay, thanks a bunch!

Hey Ayin, thanks a lot... not so sure about learning from me, as mentioned above, not an expert... just self taught with lots of practice.

All the best guys.

Zoran

Zoran, I just happened to click on this, and was greatly rewarded by a masterful painting done enviably well. The WIP is greatly appreciated, although it is quite a jump from step two to step three! Since I have never tried oils, this is intimidating and thrilling. Any and all accolades for this are well deserved.

The WIP is greatly appreciated, although it is quite a jump from step two to step three!

Hey Joy, thank you so much... humbled by your comment. Yeah, I thought about it (between 2 and 3) but got "caught" in trying to finish it really fast. This is only a hobby of mine and have to focus on some other things in mean time :)

What actually happens is that I am matching with a palette knife or any other "device" color that I see. Of course, there has to be some structure to it so, for example, when doing background I search first what would be the darkest part all the way to the lightest and then create a string on a palette. Before I start a string, I must now value range - how dark or light is a string and only then I worry about color and intensity of a color (chroma). Color string doesn't have to be too big, only few values (3 or 4, depends; light, midtone, shadow) and you connect them later.

In this stage, between 2 and 3, focus is on how do 2 values compare. For example, how much left side of the bottle is darker from the background or lit side that you can see inside the bottle - obviously, the one inside is darker because light has to pass thru the object in order to reach the background. What value is it and how it compares to the left edge? If left side of the bottle is black, background is lighter. You squint and compare. These are the type of questions that will get you into the ballpark. You keep comparing the differences. Since you have your strings in front of you, it is easy to adjust to your liking.

What you will find out is that many hues/colors and values in nature are out of range in oil paint - meaning that deepest dark's are darker then black or orange paint ie ivory black or burnt umber and hence there is a limitation. In this case you can adjust lighting (but be careful because white can get out of range and when I say out of range is from your point of view) or use darkest paints on your palette and have tonal range more narrow so everything will fit between black and white but you get to decide hierarchy. Hope this make sense...

In short, between 2nd and 3rd stage there is comparing of values (value control) and color mixing (strings of value in certain hue/color). Now I wish that I took photos of the palette... maybe in next one.

Once again, I am no expert in this and it is only an opinion regarding this matter.

Hope this helps... All the best.

Zoran

Here we go with a another one... size is 21cm by 29cm or 8" by 11.5". Also, I included the steps as Donna asked in another thread - so, here you go Donna :). This is not what I always do, sometimes I skip drawing part and draw with paint but later stages are pretty much where the fun starts.

Hope all is good and have a good one!

Zoran

Final painting

View attachment 27310

Steps are bellow...

1. Drawing

View attachment 27311

2. Drawing transfer/Imprimatura - really quick with acrylics just to "kill" the white background

View attachment 27312

3. First pass - laying in some color to fill the space as close as I can get, fixing drawing etc

View attachment 27313

4. Second pass and finish - finalizing painting, fixing some drawing, playing with color, changing color if necessary or seems fit, highlights etc.

View attachment 27314

5. Some detail to see - in this case cotton plant

View attachment 27315

Hope you enjoyed and as Mr.Ross would like to say: Happy painting! 😀
Thanks for showing the steps, really puts things into perspective.

Excellent finish! ❤️ And thanks for the progress shots. I agree, the fun is in the last few passes when the details are polished.

IronPawn, I looked up "expert" and it means it is someone who is extremely skilled in something specialized (like art) because of experience or practice. It doesn't matter that you are self-taught. In my book, you are an expert here.

IronPawn, I looked up "expert" and it means it is someone who is extremely skilled in something specialized (like art) because of experience or practice. It doesn't matter that you are self-taught. In my book, you are an expert here.
Plus one!

Thank you Hermes, really kind of you... if you need anything that I could be of help, feel free to ask. Not an expert by any mean, but probably can point out few things to cut the learning curve.

Zoran
Ha, thank you. I have just taken you up on your offer in your Lemon painting thread. :D

Back