Spooky Halloween Cat

moscatel

oil painter
Oil on canvas linen piece, about 30x40 cm so not very big. "Spooky Halloween Cat".
I wanted to make a sketch to study different poses & compositions. This was a quick daily painting and I didn't continue it any further because I was on a test mission here: what would work and what not. But goes well with the season so I post it.

23_10528_152304.jpg

BEAUTIFUL! I absolutely love this. This took one day? Well, it turned out so cool! I love everything about it. ♥️ ⚡ ♥️

Thank you, Arty! .. I think two hours.
This forum is turning out to be a fun 🌟 🥳 forum to post, chat and connect with other artists! (y)
👏

Last edited:
Two Hours!? WOW! That's sounds crazy to me. Takes me so long to make any art at all. My bedside scribbles are my only fast art and I wouldn't show them to anyone. :ROFLMAO: :censored: :LOL::sick:

Love this cat!! Wow! A lean little leopard, he is. 💕 🐾 Great job, both with the kitty and your composition here. For 2 hours work, you should be happy with this one!

Wonderful oil sketch - elegant brush strokes, fun composition, and I love the colours and the gorgeous curl of the cat's tail. I also like how you've handled the background, and used your brushwork so well for the shadows (two areas where I'm really clumsy, so I'm taking notes).

Thank you, Arty, Perry, Terri, Triss and Anne for commenting!
Anne, LOL 🤣 maybe she saw a ghost or ate some of that pumpkin. 🎃
Thanks also for pointing out the curl of the tail and that it actually follows the pumpkin outline form. I got it down by accident while looking for a space where to add the tail and wouldn't have noticed it being uniform with the pumpkin forms unless you mentioned it.

I like everything about this but it's especially nice to see your cat! You must be good at mixing colors ... it would take me so long to accomplish something like this.

Well done bud.
the cat is guard very well. as you wonderfully painted the tail, is about to spank the curious.

Donna, thank you! 🙂 One way to get more sure of mixing colors is doing the daily paintings, I think.
Lazarus, thanks! LOL, LOL .. spank the curious, well said!! 😃
Anne, Oh, that explain it! LOL 😊

I love this one! I also love how you did the background color. Weird maybe, but I just love it, it's perfectly in harmony with your pumpkin and your cat. And definitely not bad for 2 hours. I can't paint that fast with oil, yet. 🤣

DM, thanks! I think this one turned out quite curious and for that reason I didn't want to continue working on it more because often they get overworked. It's not that realistic but do the paintings really have to be always realistic. What I was mainly worried is the fact that the cat is looking away from the painting but I guess the body is leading the eye back, I don't really know .. maybe it's the tail 😂 that saved me in this case!

Reactions: Dm7
DM, thanks! I think this one turned out quite curious and for that reason I didn't want to continue working on it more because often they get overworked. It's not that realistic but do the paintings really have to be always realistic. What I was mainly worried is the fact that the cat is looking away from the painting but I guess the body is leading the eye back, I don't really know .. maybe it's the tail 😂 that saved me in this case!
Yeah I know what you mean by overworking on a piece. It's better to leave it. I think the cat's head works well because it's looking away and slightly down toward the tail, like you mentioned, redirects your eyes back. If its head was looking up or something, I don't think it would have worked as well. Just a thought here. :D

Back