Sodium Nitrate or Suicide Sales

Mississippi Hippie

This is a large work in progress... would like some feedback and help.. Acrylic and spray paint as usual... on cotton canvas roll as you can see.. title from a wave of suicides from buying sodium nitrate from Amazon... amazon refuses to stop selling it!! Horrible..
1DE078DE-4828-4798-BDE7-5CBDE96D3521.jpeg

I just read about this problem and empathize with your feelings. As for how to put your thoughts into paint ... I wish I knew. What you have so far is kind of chaotic so it seems to fit. I would think hard edges and discordant colors would keep it from feeling calm or hopeful or pretty.

I was unaware of the problem, but apparently the stuff has perfectly legitimate uses. I dunno.

Otherwise, I rarely know what to say about non-representational works, but I kinda like your painting. I like that glow-from-behind thing that you have going on in a couple of places. I guess spray paint does that effect well.

You've got a good thing going here with the complementary orange and turquoise. As you progress, you might consider developing a central point of focus.

A bigger problem than the sodium nitrate is that most people commit suicide using a firearm, yet we are awash in them in the US. And they are so easy to procure. Lots of things to worry about these days.

Back