SoCal: Mondrian does Ocean Park

Claude J Greengrass

To the best of my knowledge, Piet Mondrian never visited the west coast nor could he have been influenced by Richard Diebenkorn but in a different universe this is what might have resulted.

SoCal Mondrian does Ocean Park.JPG

This is extremely well composed (Mondrian) and the color harmony you used (Diebenkorn) is great too. Excellent Claude!!

Mondrian's geometric works never did anything for me, but I do use his work to teach students about Abstract Art, horizontal and vertical lines, and primary colors. I do like his early floral paintings a good deal:

chrysanthemum.jpg

What's the medium in your painting? The colors have a more pastel or faded quality. I actually hate the term "pastel" which is usually used to denote a faded or bleached color when pastels can be incredibly brilliant. One need only look at Degas.

Mondrian's geometric works never did anything for me, but I do use his work to teach students about Abstract Art, horizontal and vertical lines, and primary colors. I do like his early floral paintings a good deal:

What's the medium in your painting? The colors have a more pastel or faded quality. I actually hate the term "pastel" which is usually used to denote a faded or bleached color when pastels can be incredibly brilliant. One need only look at Degas.
Mainly a blend of watercolour paint with white gouache (Titanium White) and black gouache (Lamp Black PBk6) hence the pastel cast to the colours. Unfortunately the Red/Pink experienced a large colour shift on drying which rendered it much more saturated that I wanted.

I always saw Mondrian's work (the geometric stuff) as an evolution of cubism--his invention or answer to it in the ongoing conversation (in the context) of art history, if that makes sense.

I always saw Mondrian's work (the geometric stuff) as an evolution of cubism--his invention or answer to it in the ongoing conversation

That is likely exactly what it was... Of course, Picasso rejected the notion of abstraction.

Mainly a blend of watercolour paint with white gouache (Titanium White) and black gouache (Lamp Black PBk6) hence the pastel cast to the colours. Unfortunately the Red/Pink experienced a large colour shift on drying which rendered it much more saturated that I wanted.

That's an issue with most water-soluble paints... including acrylic. I fight with that with the acrylic passages in my paintings. I often have to apply 6 or 8 or more layers of acrylic and wait until each dries until I get just what I am after. This is not so of oils or pastels.

Back