So I'm Thinkin'...

musket

... about trying colored pencil, of which I have no knowledge whatsoever. Seems like the watercolor ones would be the most versatile.

First question--which brands do you people use, and why?

hi Musket,
given that they are only personal impressions and that I would listen to the other answers you will receive, they will certainly come from those who have much more talent and competence,
I really like polycrhomo, faber castel brand,
several years ago I had found one attached to a newspaper.
3 years ago looking for colored pencils I got the set of 12, set I think a fair price (in the set I had seen it was similar to the other brands) for the value and good availability.
, lately I was looking for black or blue or red but individually I can't find them, or even on the internet I happened to see them but also sold at 3 or 5 times the market price. (so in a period I searched online for some posts or reviews on the subject)
the sets instead, in general, the various sets, there are 12, 24, 50 etc
regardless of personal feelings, I have read them well and I think they are quite positively sponsored.

of derwent I read well as watercolors.
I read the prismacolor very well in general and I believe that many artists use them,
I remember photos with drawings and premier pismacolor, perhaps watercolor have another series. the prismacolor.

I have not personally tried prismacolor, but it did not happen to me reading, feeling and that they are excellent.

I tried a Carbothello looking for alternatives to polycromo,
even these read well.
these I think if you are looking for something that is very reminiscent of charcoals. are similar, a little less dust but really, I tried a red and impressions it was like when I tried charcoal. often in the last 2 years, so I was wondering which ones to look for and which ones you like, I read that these, the faber castel have oil among components, perhaps this is a reason why I felt better.

I forgot one of the reasons why I said that I like faber is that they have a much larger lead than graphite and are circular, which I found much better than tringular graphite.

prismacolor, faber castell or derwent look good.

I don't use watercolor pencils, so don't ask me. I use the soft oil ones, the Caran D'Ache Pablos. They are expensive though.

I have set upon set of different brands, types and colors. Most colored pencils, even when they look quite bright in the pencil, make a pastel color on paper. The most intense colors I have found are Derwent Coloursoft, Derwent Inktense and Prismacolor Premier soft core.

I use the soft oil ones, the Caran D'Ache Pablos. They are expensive though.

I love those myself. They cover well even when you have several layers down already. I agree with Joe. I also like Faber-Castell Polychromo. I also use Prismacolor... more than any others... simply for this:

128800.jpg

Almost all the under-drawings in my works are done with this Tuscan Red and Burnt Sienna and a few other Earth Tones. I also use these for reinforcing the contours in my drawings/paintings especially in the tessellations.

I have a box of huge of Prismacolor pencils and like them too. I also have a box of Derwent pastel pencils and Staedtler Karat watercolour pencils.
I do not draw much anymore, so I can compare them to others. I forgot how I loved the precision of a pencil versus a brush.
I should get to play a little more with those.

Last edited:
I'm investigating the same thing for a model drawing I did 40 years ago, going to colorize it. One thing I've learned is the different solvents used to bring up the colors. Designated water color pencils will obviously use water. Some pencils are more wax-based and can use mineral spirits or xylene for solvent; some are resin based and will use common rubbing alcohol. I'm no expert, this is stuff I've learned online in the past couple days. I'm waiting for a new 12-pack box of Faber Castells to arrive Monday. Meanwhile, I've been testing solvents on a box of Crayola Crayons, very waxy; very old Conncolor Crayon Pencils, waxy; Kimberly water color pencils, and Dixon Thinex pencils, alcohol solvent. All old and out of production, been sitting around here unused for years.
I never bothered with color pencils before because I thought they were weak colors, never knew what solvents would do.
Please correct anything I've said above, I'd like to learn more. (sorry if I hijacked the thread)

Last edited:
For pieces I plan to sell or give as gifts, I use Polychromos by Faber-Castell. They are guaranteed lightfast and are reasonably priced. For just sketching or making art for digital prints, I use Prismacolor Premiere. They cost a little less than Polychromos. I have a love/hate relationship with Prismacolor. They have beautiful, vibrant colors and lay down and blend smooth like butter, but they aren't guaranteed lightfast. Their quality control also sucks, so they break all the time when you sharpen them, which is frustrating and is a waste of product and money. For those reasons, I suggest Polychromos.

And I also suggest investing in a decent sharpener. Keeping your pencils sharp is important if you want to get good coverage, and a decent sharpener will save you time and headaches. I got a $10 electric sharpener recently and it was worth every penny.

I use watersolubles all the time, but I generally just use them as a base layer, with a dry pencil on top (or I use them with watercolours).
If you just want one set to use both wet and dry, I'd recommend Faber Castell Albrecht Durer (slightly chunkier pencils, need a wider sharpener) or Caran D'Ache Supracolor (regular diameter, hold a point much better for dry work).

What I use:
If I'm doing a watersoluble base layer, Caran D'Ache Museum, Faber Castell Albrecht Durer or Caran D'Ache Supracolor (depending on the colour I want)

For delicate, realistic botanical or insect drawings (like my avatar for example) I use mostly Faber Castell Polychromos (with a few other odd favourite colours).

For bolder, looser, or more opaque work, I like Caran D'Ache Luminance or Derwent Lightfast. However, I only got those (really expensive!) lines later. I happily used only Faber Castell Albrecht Durer (watersoluble) with Polychromos for a couple of years.

If you like a soft, opaque dry pencil that's easy to use/blend, Prismacolor Premier are good value. Not lightfast though. I don't use them because I don't like the waxy smell, but most people wouldn't notice it (I've got a nose as sensitive as a sniffer dog!)

For pieces I plan to sell or give as gifts, I use Polychromos by Faber-Castell. They are guaranteed lightfast and are reasonably priced. For just sketching or making art for digital prints, I use Prismacolor Premiere. They cost a little less than Polychromos. I have a love/hate relationship with Prismacolor. They have beautiful, vibrant colors and lay down and blend smooth like butter, but they aren't guaranteed lightfast. Their quality control also sucks, so they break all the time when you sharpen them, which is frustrating and is a waste of product and money. For those reasons, I suggest Polychromos.

And I also suggest investing in a decent sharpener. Keeping your pencils sharp is important if you want to get good coverage, and a decent sharpener will save you time and headaches. I got a $10 electric sharpener recently and it was worth every penny.

I feel the same as you about everything you say here--about Faber-Castell, Prismacolor, and a decent electric sharpener, and know how those Prismacolors break ALL THE TIME! It so frustrating, and a grand waste of money sometimes. I didn't know the Prisma weren't guaranteed lightfast.

Do you know of a good electric sharpener for thicker pencils by chance? My partner just got some thick lead/graphite pencils and we can only use a manual sharpener and it stinks.

I mostly use Caran D'Ache (soft), when I use any. Those are my favorite, but I have to buy a few of the colors I want in Faber-Castell.

I feel the same as you about everything you say here--about Faber-Castell, Prismacolor, and a decent electric sharpener, and know how those Prismacolors break ALL THE TIME! It so frustrating, and a grand waste of money sometimes. I didn't know the Prisma weren't guaranteed lightfast.

Do you know of a good electric sharpener for thicker pencils by chance? My partner just got some thick lead/graphite pencils and we can only use a manual sharpener and it stinks.
Unfortunately I don't have any sharpener recommendations. This is my first electric sharpener, and it accommodates Polychromos but they're only slightly thicker than Prismas, so I don't know that would be much help to you.

Well, it was worth a try. Thank you! :)
It's not electric, but l have a really good crank one which takes the thicker pencils like Luminance, Albrecht Durer etc. It's the Swordfish OmniPoint. You can adjust how long you want the point too.

That's a good idea, a crank one!
I like the crank ones better than electric. I have an electric and I use it if I'm sharpening a lot of pencils at once, but the point isn't as sharp (and it only works for slimmer pencils).

Oh, and by the way Musket, I forgot to mention Inktense pencils. They are great! I love them. The colour is quite different dry to wet though, so they would be tricky if you were only going to buy one set for wet and dry use.

Last edited:
FC Polychromos. I can buy them from open stock at a local art supply where i have a discount. I have warm and cool primary colors, a couple of greens, a brown, and a purple.

Back