Slither - Inktober 2021

rodhlann

IMG_20211121_195828_254.jpg

Here's my submission on Slither for Inktober 2021! I don't have a ton of experience drawing animals, and this piece was initially meant to be much more ambitious before I discovered how complicated snake scales are to draw.

Feedback welcome!

Drawn in pencil and lined with Studio Series Micro-Line 005 and 02, shaded with Copic C1, C3, C5 markers.

@ams thank you! That was definitely the part I was struggling with the most. Especially on the neck and belly

Copics! Hey cool! I use markers too sometimes. What paper is this on? Nice clean work, clean lines, the addition of values make him come to life :)

I've only really started messing around heavily with markers recently, but I have found myself leaning on them pretty heavily for shading purposes over hatching or stippling during this Inktober.

I'm using a Fabriano EcoQua 5.83 x 8.27 drawing pad I picked up on a whim mostly because it's 40 pages seemed like a good fit for this year's Inktober collection. The paper is great for sketching and ink line art, but it doesn't blend super well with markers, and I have to use some folded scratch paper underneath my page when I'm using copic style markers to stop from bleeding onto the next page. Overall I'd recommend it though! Super cheap and reliable. Nice compact form factor with staples versus rings for binding.

Very good work!!! Aren't those Micron pens fun? I love how you mixed all the media together on this. It turned out great! ♥️

@Artyczar I love micron pens! It took me a long time to find pens I really enjoyed drawing with, but these are great. I'm generally a very fine point pen user in general, even for writing, so I'm also on the search for ultra-fine point fountain pens and have just started messing with dip pens in my side sketches since they can provide a similar feel with a more dynamic line 😁

love it! graphite and ink looks to be a very effective combo. hmm... i'll have to experiment ;)

love it! graphite and ink looks to be a very effective combo. hmm... i'll have to experiment ;)
All the pencil has been erased! All that's left is inks 😁 I do definitely recommend copic markers though. They really are excellent, if not expensive

All the pencil has been erased! All that's left is inks 😁 I do definitely recommend copic markers though. They really are excellent, if not expensive
i've been doing ink and alcohol marker too. been killing my markers though lol. i need something refillable like copics.

still might try something with graphite and ink though. its stuck in my head now. :LOL:

i've been doing ink and alcohol marker too. been killing my markers though lol. i need something refillable like copics.

still might try something with graphite and ink though. its stuck in my head now. :LOL:
You should! I'd be interested in seeing that. I've never done much with graphite. It's too messy for me, or maybe I just don't know how to use it well yet

Back