Sketching at Senji

Balaji

This is an A4 size pen and ink sketch, made around 15 or 16 years ago when my wife, daughter, and I drove to Senji one weekend on a sketching holiday. Actually this is the final version of the sketch. My original sketch was in graphite which I manipulated to get a better composition and then did a pen and ink version. Later, as I became a little more experienced in sketching on location, I started doing the recomposing in my mind and started sketching directly in pen and ink.

Sketching at Senji - hi-res.jpg

That's a beauty! I love the trees, the distance, the way you describe the planting plots. Very nice.

Last edited:
Wow! What a wonderful sketch. ❤️ Great composition, and excellent detail. Beautiful work!

Wonderful sketch Balaji. I haven't taken the jump to working directly in ink. Maybe some day!

I love how you captured the light.

How did you do the distant mountains so they look like a pale wash?

How did you do the distant mountains so they look like a pale wash?
In this sketch I used a pencil to shade it lightly. But later I learn to use highly diluted ink, and even closely placed lines from a very fine pointed pen.

Reactions: ams
Very good, I love the composition amd sense of depth. I adore the tree on the right.

This is spectacular. I love the distance you achieved, which is difficult in ink. Well done! ❤️❤️

Back