Seamount

M

Martin C

Another exploration of 'horizons'. Started yesterday, finished this afternoon. Acrylic on paper 50 x 70cm

seamount.png

BTW Anyone else like to listen to music while they paint?

Such a wonderful sense of depth in this one, Martin! There are shapes behind shapes and it looks very watery to me. I like how the diagonal horizon gives the impression of stepping down into the depths and the red shapes keep the abstraction going. I usually gravitate toward classical music when I paint because I'm too easily distracted by words.

Thanks for your comments Donna. I'm trying to stay close to the line between representational and abstract and all too aware that simply providing a title can push it one way or another! I was going to title this 'First Meditations' because that's what I was listening to when I finished it off (the last part of the process is fast and frenetic and the tracks on that Coltrane album were somehow appropriate...).

Lovely composition and color. I feel underwater and fish vibes, but an overall sense of peaceful tranquility. The pops of red are really intelligent. Excellent work! ♥️

I do not listen to anything but the birds chirping outside when I work.

This is a beautiful abstract! I really like the square and rectangular shapes, with pretty pops of brightness from the red. It's got a nice vibe.

Thanks Ann, Ayin & Terri!

I tend to listen to music while painting because I think it influences the way I paint. I reckon I have a mild degree of synaesthesia.

If I listen to anything at all, it's going to be something light and vague, like meditation music. A real group of songs I like is going to pull my mind from what I'm doing - I cannot focus on both.

Yeah what they said above says what I would say. Excellent.

And yeah a title is a double edged sword.

I have music playing but I'm not really listening most of the time.

Yeah what they said above says what I would say. Excellent.

And yeah a title is a double edged sword.

I have music playing but I'm not really listening most of the time.
Thanks John. Oh, since the 'next...' thread isn't really built for comments, can I just say here that your Old Man of Storr is fabulous. I love the style. I've not been to Skye since the bridge was built -- remiss of me, and I've still some hills to climb up there so its just a matter of time...

I like this a lot. Love the arrangement of shapes and the areas of red.
Thanks Kay. I'm currently exploring similar ideas with orange, violet and blue (potentially ugh!). I've no idea yet how it will turn out as it all comes together (or not) in the last 15 mins or so of the process.

Back