Scots pine, watercolour

Triduana

Contributing Member
Watercolour on 1/4 sheet Arches cold press:

tree.jpg

(I've no idea what these colours look like to anyone else, it's a bit yellower than it should be)

I had a plan to do ten paintings this year. This is my second! I'm not that happy with it, I'm just pleased to have got something done so thought I'd share it. I almost binned it partway through, but thought I'd try and save it by throwing some black at it (lunar black in this case). I'm trying to be more expressive with my painting rather than just copying the reference.

I've been driving past this tree most days recently, it's growing out of a crack in the centre of the rock. It's very impressive.

Comments / critique welcome - the only feedback I've had so far is: "That tree is very vivid" . It's a valid comment, Scots pines aren't that colour. Maybe I'll try it again. I need more practice after so long not painting anything!

Thanks for looking.

Kay, this is really nice! It would have been a shame to give up on it. I love the variety of pine green colors whether they are photographically accurate or not. It looks like a pine tree living its best life and I’m glad it kept calling to you until you painted it.

Looks really good. Maybe some more darker greens in the grass and more color in the background? But this is a personal decision and if the attention is supposed to be on the tree and rocks which you did a good job with maybe that would distract from the subject. But yeah the pics often seem too yellow when I take them also.

I like this a lot. The tree, rocks, and foreground are well painted. Also the colours look natural and fresh.

If I were painting this subject I would make the tree more dominant (in value) than the rocks. but obviously you have seen it differently or that is the way it actually is. I would also add some shadow (just a little bit) on the ground.

Many paintings, and even some drawings, go through an ugly phase before they turn out well. I have experienced this many times and I try not to abandon any effort midway.

This painting reminds me of the phrase, “Stuck between a rock and a hard place “. I love lone trees that seem to persevere against the odds. You have captured the strength of this one.

Kay, I'm really glad you did not bin this, which is where so many of my paintings end up. As Balaji stated, one has to push through difficult stages. Nothing ever looks satisfying to the artist throughout the process. Interpretation of a subject is so individual. Creativity vs. reproduction is such a struggle for me. Striving to accept that detail is my "style" is a precarious balance! Kudos to you for using the Lunar Black so well, as black is so maligned in watercolor.

As others have commented, some more darks in the grass to ground it would be helpful. A wee bit of red can be mixed in with the green for some natural looking dark areas. The tree looks fine the way you interpreted it. If I were to paint this reference, I would move the rock to the right closer to the main subject, thus connecting the elements. Joseph Zbukvic and Nina Volk stress connecting major shapes, so the painting is a cohesive unit of the individual elements The right side of the painting, rock and BG mountains are like a separate unit.

So wonderful to see your work again!

I really like the spontaneity in this. Colors of pines are difficult as Joy says a bit of red helps. Congrats on painting!! I need some more too, I do a calendar for family and I only have about 4 paintings ready, so you inspire me!!

Thanks so much for all your comments. 🙂

I totally agree with the suggestions of darkening parts of the foreground. That was a little bit rushed. I purposely left the background because I didn't have a lot of time to get this done (I painted it on my last day away from home for the week) so decided to focus on the tree. It is a really interesting background in real life, so I wanted to simplify it, but I probably went too far with that. 🙂

I think it is a clear, lovely painting. It reminds me a bit of the old Japanese paintings with the dramatic tree /rock and the lighter suggestion of hills in the almost misty background.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

What a beautiful painting of this! It always amazes me where trees can grow when it seems there's no soil or water.

The only thing I would suggest is to get that crack in the boulder that's furthest on the left pushed back somehow. Maybe change the colot of it so it doesn't look likee a tree ttunk At first that made me think it was the trunk of the tree. It definitely needs the tree but that one suggestion is all I can add.

Looking at the painting more, it seems to me that the value in the distance needs to be a little deeper. Adding just a bit of a darker value would help. You've done really well at putting the viewer's attention on the tree and the rock it's growing from. I love how you've made the tree and rock the obvious focal point.

Triduana, I like the colors a lot. They are calming colors to me. This is a very good painting. Subject matter is inspiring. I hope you get to do more. I'm trying the same: to paint little bit more.

I'm glad you didn't toss it too. Almost all paintings go through an ugly stage, or at least a discouraging stage but many times when we press on to finish it, it turns out to be one of our best. This one turned out very nice. ❤️

Back