Scavenger Hunt from Life #69: May 18 - May 26

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt from Life #69: May 18 - May 26
Ax
Bird feeder
Coins
Drill press
Egg carton
Flour
Gate
High chair
Instrument
Jiggles
Kite
Llama
Mountain
Nest
Obstacle
Popcorn
Queue
Red
Stripes
Triangle
Uniform
Violet
Wind-chime
Xanadu
Yucca
Zoom

Challenges: Do some in order or make a grouping of 3. Substitutes are OK .
Have fun ... sketch away!

Thanks for the new list, Jo.

1 - bird bath (sub for feeder) - watercolors
2 - queue of bricks

IMG_2484.jpeg

3 - red building - watercolors
4 - violet flowers

IMG_2496.jpeg

Joan, look at you go, first off the block. I like the birdbath and the flowers are beautiful. Applause!!

Thnks for the list Jo. Unfortunately I am coming down with sickness. Hope I will recovered and do some sketches later.

Joan: Gorgeous artworks to uplift our spirits. Great start to our Hunt.

Jo, thanks. I wonder why your hunt hasn't moved ahead of the last one that is already over.

Ai, thank you. I hope you feel better soon. We've been fighting colds here.

1 red- my kitchen aid immersion blender ( but I used fire and ice blue to sketch

2- the water kettle is good tea instrument

actually I drew these today thinking Paul’s list was still active…and making them work into the current list….. just plain ole glad to do some sketching
AB9ABBA0-A2D8-4F80-8497-18C2632F38A5.jpeg

Joan. Gorgeous, gorgeous …watercolors

Ai…hope the sickness expires quick.
Jo thanks for fun list
Hi Paul - thanks for hosting …there was a lot in it I really wanted to sketch …..

Joan - awww lovely birdbath and purple flowers. Mmmm violets. What paper size and brand do you use when you sketch out and about? I wonder if you buy large format and cut them down....

Ai - hope you feel better soon.

Robin - yay hand blender. I think I have the same brand.

Here are my sketches. 5x8" page, ink and marker.

1. gate - beside a house
2. stripes - part of a house ... I see it doesn't make a whole lotta sense - there are parts to the left of what I drew but I omitted it (artistic license)

hunt69-01.jpg

Cheers,

Robin, thanks. I'm glad you found a way to get the sketches to work in this hunt too.

EP, lately I usually work in a Canson XL 7 x 10 sketchbook. Sometimes I put two smaller sketches on a page and sometimes I work on precut paper, or in an 8 x 10 Stillmann & Birn sketchbook. It varies. Nice stripy sketch of the house. I like the creative touch of pink on the house and fence.

Hi all.

Robin nice work on the blender and water pot. I don't have any type tea kettle. I do have an ice tea maker, maybe I'll get to that.

EP, cool house and fence. Love those pink fence and stripes.

Ai, hope you feel better soon.

Family is gone so maybe sketch tomorrow.

Joan - thank you. I look forward to trying the Canson XL ... I heard other people say they enjoy it. This was the first time in a long time that I sketched outdoors on my lap with the wind and juggling supplies. I need more practice with this before I feel confident. I expect those pieces to be .... (charmingly?) odd :)
Jo - thank you.

Thanks and hi to all.

I sketched on the porch in the ArtStreet Sketchbook with a Micron 03.
Number 1, triangle - I had to laugh when we were making the list, family on the porch. I said I would put triangle because it was always a hard thing for me to find triangles. David said, look behind you on the shed. Ha. Triangles everywhere - doors, hinges, etc. The shed is not that crooked, it is red with white trim.

csshfl69triangle.jpg

Not much drawing time for the next couple weeks. I have been busy getting ready for our trip to Hawaii. It's our 48th Wedding Anniversary and we will be gone for two weeks... Lot of great sketches will see you when I get back. Ejnoy!

Joan - Bird bath is a fun substitute. Flowers are beautiful but the lettering is what blew me away. You been studying calligraphy?

Robin - Clever cross hunt substitutes. 👍🏽 Nice hatching.

EP - Seeing the hunt items in color against the monochrome of the rest of the drawing was interesting. Well done!

Jo - Been listening to you complain about finding triangles since I joined the hunts back on WetCanvas years ago. How long have you had the shed? Isn’t observation a basic art skill? Sorry. Could not stop myself. 😊😊😊

Paul - Enjoy Hawaii! What island are you going to?

#1 Zoom - lighted magnifier we use to zoom in on small print. Multiple grades of graphite in 8.5x5.5 inch sketch book.

IMG_1686.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Paul, have a great trip. Aloha!

Ha, ha, Joe. You made me laugh. Yep, we got the sheds soon after moving in in 2011. Sad that it is in my view on the porch and I have sketched the shed a few times. Duh…. it took new eyes. I like your idea for zoom. Well sketched.

Jo - funny triangle story. Great little shed.
Paul - safe travels and Aloha! Oh I see Jo beat me to it. I'm listening to a Hawaiian concert right now as I type this
(Craig and Sarah's Backyard Concert on YouTube Season 2 Episode #6 featuring U3)
Joe - thank you. Well done on the lighted magnifier.

Paul - We lived in Hawaii for 5 years. A couple of tips…Mahalo does not trash. It means Thank you. 🤣. If you ask directions. No one uses compass directions. Makai means toward the sea and Mauka mess to towards the mountains. If anyone calls your wife a ”nani haole wahini” that ls a compliment. it mean pretty white woman. And with jo and EP we offer Aloha!

Almost forgot If someone says ”oh no” that’s Hawaiian for good (ono) and “poopoo“ are appetizers. 😎

Last edited:
Back