Scavenger Hunt from Life #114: May 11 - May 19

jmfletch

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!

** * If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Note. Used the list I had for last Hunt. This is a repost of one of Elizabeth’s (Kivrin65)
(WC Hunt #32)

Eyeglasses or sunglasses
pot or pan
ball/marble
fabric
gardening tool
Your favorite tool
transparent object
ribbon/string
pins/nails
tree
something to do with a hobby
buckle
plate/bowl
pocket and a belt loop
eye
chair
animal or bird
potato peeler
dessert
fruit
foot
knot
stack of something
colorful
tool you don’t use often
sky

Challenge: Draw an item with a continuous line without looking at the paper

Most important..HAVE FUN!

#1 animal ...statue of Erawan Shrine -- three elephants, Samutprakarn...wc+pencil ...done in a 9x12 inch Indian cotton paper passes on to me by the late Kivrin.

20240512_111003.jpg

1715488269327.jpg

Attachments

• 20240512_111418.jpg
    20240512_111418.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1
#2 sub. stack of objects with two objects side-by-side ( two Indian inspired mythical elephants & fishes water garden decoration ), in the same area of the Erawan Shrine.

20240512_135004.jpg

20240512_134943.jpg

#3 ...sub. string with a panorama of my beloved Chaophraya River, view from the 23rd floor of Samutprakarn Observation Tower, done in directwatercolor, about 1hr 15 minutes.

20240512_160251.jpg

20240512_160158.jpg

Last edited:
Fletch, thanks for the list and remembering Kivrin with it.

Ai, you got busy right away. Love the sketches of the elephant statues! That panoramic painting is gorgeous!! How lucky to find a place where you had a view from above.

I met the NYC Urban Sketchers at the South Street Seaport in downtown Manhattan. I was more interested in some of the old, historic buildings instead of the boats. This first sketch is of the Jasper Ward House, a nearly 200 year old counting house that was erected on land Jasper Ward purchased when this part of Manhattan was still mostly under water two centuries ago.

1 - colorful - watercolors and ink

IMG_5215.jpeg

2 - stack of windows - watercolors
3 - fabric umbrella

IMG_5213.jpeg

JennieJo, NedL, and Joan: Thanks so much.

Joan: Fantastic charming details of the Jasper Ward house. Love the bricks, windows, and the side stairs delicate details. The 2nd building with many objects surrounding (umbrella, car, lamp posts) are super too.

I didn't get to the game, the highway was closed and traffic was so bad on the detour I turned around and went home. 3 hours driving and never got more than 20 miles from home :( But at least I went for a hike later :) so still a good day!

#1 tree ( pen + ink wash 5.5x8.5" sketchbook )
IMG_1905rs.jpg

photo:
20240512_155416rs.jpg

Ned: So sorry for the bad traffic to your game but the tree you have captured is so glorious !!!

I forgot to hit "post reply" last night, so this is coming later than I planned. lol

Thanks, Ned. I listened to baseball while I was sitting in my car sketching...the Yankees of course. Sorry you didn't get to your game, but at least you had hiking as a backup plan. I really like your tree. I love trees like that with gnarly branches and twisted trunks. Your shading on it is great!

Ai, thank you. It is fun to get into the city and find some interesting old buildings with character. So much of Long Island is covered with strip malls and all the buildings look the same...no variety.

4 - transparent (car windows) - watercolors and ink
5 - trees

IMG_5220.jpeg

Ai, you get us off to a great start. Smile at you using Kivrin’s paper on one of her lists. A memory and a tribute.
The elephants (big and small) are fun and well done. The panorama is excellent. Again in last post, amazing detail in watercolor.

Joan, love all detail in both city paintings, 200 years sounds so old in US but across either ocean 200 years is like new construction. You are getting really good at cars.

Ned, the gnarly old tree is stunning love how you drew a boundary and broke it!

Jo, thanks for peek back. You had an amazing cup collection. Glad you have photos to remember and share.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Thanks for the list, Fletch.
Joan,AI, Nedl, wonderful art.
on Saturday I made a drawing, I hadn't read the new list yet, anyway I'll put it here, it's a figurine, I can use the word eye, I think
it was a nativity scene type figurine, shepherd of the nativity scene, but much larger, like 40 cm, perhaps made of metal, figurine of a boy and his lamb or was it a ram. but I only drew him and not the whole one, I used a6 size sketchbook, small,
I think I feel better with a5, I never try outside the house, so I brought this little one, there were some cute objects, a mask or a little clown that I saw last week, then I saw this.
I haven't been able to fix the computer yet, but a very good and kind technician is reviewing it,
3 weeks ago I took it to a shop to have it fixed, but it was there for a week but it worked well, mischievous computer.
but the technician was kind and said he would come and see it if it still didn't work well at home, I just called him this morning and he came.
Then I'll prepare photos of Saturday's drawing and rewrite.

Ai -- thanks!

Joan -- thanks! I like the sky in that one, different from others that you do, and it fits the grey foreground and "feels right" for that scene. Is that an osprey nest?

Joe1, Fletch, Jo, and everyone, hi! 👋

Fletch, lol Yes, 200 years old isn't much in most European countries.

Joe, I hope the technician can solve your problem with the computer. It is very frustrating when you are having a problem and then you bring it somewhere and it pretends there isn't a problem. My car used to do that. lol

Ned, thanks. You've got good eyes. Yes, that's an osprey nest.

Went out Sat & Sun night to see if I could see any of the northern lights. Saturday it was much too cloudy here. Yesterday was clear but I didn't see any colors. I was disappointed.:(
IMG_5226.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning. Busy place this morning.

Ai, wow on the animal, elephant, and use of equipment via Kivrin. I'm smiling. the water fountain with the two elephants is so nice. Thanks for the photos of you, too.

Joan, nice outing. Love the Jasper Ward House. Excellent brick work. Ditto on the umbrella and vehicle. Applause. Oh I see you post like me and don't hit the button. I like the scene of the marine services. Looks like an Osprey nest.

Ned sorry you missed the game. Horns won 2 of 3 at Central Florida so watched on ESPN+. One more weekend before all the excitement of tournaments. We used to go but now.... Your hike got you a great tree sketch. So good on the shadows and technique. Great photo.

Hey Fletch, thanks.
joe1lt, hope your computed problems are fixed soon. I guess you did. I like the figurine. I see the shepherd, we have a similar one. Makes me smile.

I sketched out on the porch in the BookFactory sketchbook with a Micron 03.
Number 1 eyeglasses and Number 2 transparant object.

csshfl114eyeglasses.jpg

Joan, thought it was at 2am?

Jo, great hatching on eye glass case. No hummingbirds?

Joe, you bring back memories. We had a shepard boy carrying a lamb that looked a lot like that in our nativity set when I was a young boy myself

Keep sketching
Fletch

Joe, I like your figurine. He can probably match the one in my Nativity set. They seem to all be posed in the same position.

Jo, nice job on the glasses in the case. Mine are never in cases and then I get annoyed because they get scratched. Is that a hummingbird feeder? Nice work.

Fletch, viewing was supposed to be best between 10pm and 2am. I opted for 10:30 but saw nothing.

Back