Scavenger Hunt #61: Mar 15 - Mar 23

You folks have been very busy all well done. I will comment later.

Challenge #1. Looking in a the same window as looking out.
Challenge #2. Associations ---- Breakfast -- Bacon, Eggs, and Toast
#1. In My Pocket --- my cell phone
#2. Glass --- bottle of wine

Sketches done in my 8.5" x 11" Sketch book. Pen and ink plus colored pencils. No idea how long maybe 2 hrs total.

Breakfast.jpg

WineBottle.jpg

Good morning all y'all.
Alabama, nice start with the medicine bottle.

Ai, Fun with the pastels!! Castello may be Italian. Our name is Spanish and Castillo, which is Castle in English. Wish I had a stake in the pastel company! Pretty set of pastels and the subject makes me hungry as always. Clever find for smooth and rough with the squash.

Joan, I just think you do these wide views and buildings so well. I've tried and it is so easy to get "lost" in the lines and details. Applause. Great plants, too. The concert looks like it would be fun.

EP, I always like how you "capture" your Hunt items in the squares. Good finds. I like the mug for my collection and nice shape to the jar .. different. The chop sticks reminds me that we had our kids eat popcorn with chopsticks to learn how to use them. I still do that, I eat it slower and keep my fingers clean for typing on the computer!

Paul, great job in and out the window. Yummy breakfast. The wine is perfect. I like the topper.

Scavenger Hunt #61: Mar 15 - Mar 23

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt #61

Window view
Entry
Exit
A street sign
House
Bush
Tree
Wood
Glass
Plastic metal
Ceramic
Hand made
Collectible
Coin
Stamp
Rock
Water
Calm
Rough
Steep
Sheer
Transparent
Smooth
Wet
Dry
Whatever is in your pocket/purse/bag

Challenges:
1 Use 2 or more associations. List your associations.
Example: label - package - present - bow.
Draw a bow and list the 3 associations
2 Draw view out a window and view in the same window
This mornings sketching shadows effort fits in. Very happy. Wooden table, near wooden cupboard (right hand side) with water bottle poking out of bag ... just in case you couldn't make
IMG_20230321_070529_1-01.jpeg
it out 😀

Joe - thank you. I like the effect of frames for small sketches - they just feel more finished this way.
Joan - thank you. Yes I made both the button and the mug. That will likely be why they are wonky, lol. Wonderful job on the musicians - particularly the curl at the top of the upright bass :)
Sylwia - yay :)
Paul - so fantastic for the colours on the phone in your pocket. That plug top on the wine bottle has a lovely heart!
Jo - thank you. Thank you for sharing the story about popcorn using chopsticks. I taught myself how to use them when I was an adult. I still eat popcorn by hand - piece by piece. And the # of dogs I have near me reduces my portion. Two dogs then I get 30% of the bowl, lol. Dogs love popcorn - that's how I could eventually entice a shy dog to become less scared. Oh! Stunning tree!
JennieJo - how fortunate for the sketch today to meet the list. Wow! Great job.

Slywia: nice digital sketch of ceramic jug, metal and palstice knives. Nice
sparkle on the glass.

Joan: Well done keys (old keys very interesting shapes). Your urban
sketches of your area are very interesting. I enjoy them all very much
thanks for sharing them.. You are very very busy

Jo: Thanks... Nice ceramic and glass sketches love the coins I'll take one coins please
Great transparency... great sketch on that tree very 3 dimensional

Ai:
So many sketches and all so well done. Nice idea for calm and dry items.
My top sketches are is the cermic shell and compass. Really like how you did
the grouped items great associations produced nice still lifes

Alabama: I like your find never know wheen you wil need the meds

Eye Paint:
Thanks.. your sketches are very colorful. Your finds are neat nice clip,
chop sticks

JennieJo:
Really like how you selected your paper to sketch on, well done

#3. Exit --- exit door out to our back deck
#4. Tree --- Out the door window you can see tree(s)
#5. Street Sign
#5. Coin --- back of a Quarter.

Sketches in my 8.5" x 11" sketch book. Pen and ink approximately and hour

Door.jpg

Joe, the pianist and cello player were pretty good. They were thrilled with the sketch.

Paul, good job getting the view in and out of the same window. I always forget to stop and sketch my breakfasts...maybe I'm just too hungry at that time of day. You did well on that and the bottle of wine. Wow, you did an excellent job on that exit door. Thanks for your comments!

Jo, thank you. Nice pastel of the tree! Love the lighter highlights.

Jennie Jo, nice sketch on the texted paper. That is always fun to do, but I haven't done it in a while.

EP, thanks. I have to really concentrate when I'm doing musical instruments since I don't play any. It was hard sketching them at the show because I had two rows of people between them and me. I had limited view between people. lol

Robin, nice exit door sketch...I like the colorful view and your calm cat!

10 - entry door - watercolors and ink
11 - street sign

IMG_2039.jpeg

13 - wet - watercolors and ink
14 - dry boat out of the water

IMG_2041.jpeg

Jennie Jo, good lines on your woodent table and water bottle. Recycling sketch on old books or papers. Fun.

EP, you have discipline to eat one popcorn kernel at a time with your fingers! Thanks.

Thanks, Paul. I like your page of sketches with the doors and coin.

Robin, your sketches are always so lively, even the cat at rest. I'm smiling. Love your hatching and lines.

Joan, thanks. The scene with the buildings, truck and van tells such a story. Love the colors, too. the boat house is different and colorful as well. Applause.

Sylwia, very cool globe with the owl. Nice hatching and shading.

I sketched here at the computer in the ArtStreet Sketchbook with a Micron 03 and some Sharpies for color.
Number 8 collectible - tiny Mickey Mouse, don't know where it came from Funko?
Number 9 smooth - magnifying glass
Number 10 wood and 11 metal - pencil and compass

csshfl61collectible.jpg

Sylwia, nice shading on that glass!

Jo, thanks. I like finding street scenes with a collection of buildings and vehicles.

Paul - thank you. What a fun name of a street! Yay venetian blinds :)
Robin - that chair seat looks so comfy. Love all the colours in your view with the door with all the window panes. See the kitty agrees with me that the chair is comfy.
Joan - you did a great job on the instruments. Love the reds in your scene - the truck cab and the stop sign.
Sylwia - ooh and orb with owl inside :)
Jo - I strangely do, yes. Love the red at the bottom of that Mickey Mouse :)

Paul - Well done on the in and out views. Also the color icons on the phone..great work. The exit/tree sketch is my fav of yours this Hunt.

Jo - You have truly mastered light and shadow with pastels. Beautiful. Your ink work is not bad either. 😁 Nice hatching on the compass and the magnifier.

JennieJo - love a great sketch on found paper. 👍🏽

Robin - Wow what a compilation of sketches in an variety of mediums. Isn’t calm cat an oxymoron?😎

Joan - Love your strong colors. They really make your paintings pop!

Sylwia - Love your graphite technique. Beautiful.

One day left so still time to get a few more sketches in!

Keep sketching
Joe aka Fletch

Robin: Nice collection of items, like your door set up and the view through
to the yard well done sketches

Jona: Thanks. Like the arrangement of the houses and as always plenty of interesting
detail. Looks like someone is getting ready for spring and summer with their
boat.

Sylwia: Great pencil sketch. Nice use of the shaded background.

Jo: Thanks. Well done Mickey like how the red grabs your attention. I have the excat
same compass well done

Joe:
Thanks and thanks for hosting

Robin: Nice collection of items, like your door set up and the view through
to the yard well done sketches

Jona: Thanks. Like the arrangement of the houses and as always plenty of interesting
detail. Looks like someone is getting ready for spring and summer with their
boat.

Sylwia: Great pencil sketch. Nice use of the shaded background.

Jo: Thanks. Well done Mickey like how the red grabs your attention. I have the excat
same compass well done

Joe: Thanks and thanks for hosting
Paul, someone on my blog says it is a protractor not a compass. I remembered that when they commented, but I still think we called them compass as well. I'm too old ....

Interesting, I had to google them as I was unsure myself about what is what. I think they are two different tools and their difference to me is very slight. For example a compass is a geometric tool used to draw circles or arcs while a protractor is a geometric tool used to measure angles. The protractor is a ruler/arc combination device. I am no longer confused thanks! As it turns out I have a compass, a protractor and oh by the way a divider :cool:

Back