Saturday night fun

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Contributing Member
It was supposed to be just a little play to what happened. Take some blue! textured card, soft pastel and 3 hours later you have some A5 "things". Hesitated at fixing last night. 2 layers done.
All from photographs, but not realistic copy. Yet. Maybe. Plan to aler the blue base once colours of the objects are more settled.

My hack of the day.One good thing about being a lateral thinker is finding amazingly unexpected solutions. I needed a new resizing app, fell upon a aone Paint that does a great job, I think. 6Mb files down to 400kb ish. I used it on these. Not the makers intended purpose, but quick and easy.

Attachments

• IMG_20230917_073232_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230917_073232_HDR-01.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Painnt_20230917075618.jpg
    Painnt_20230917075618.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 28
  • Painnt_20230917075501.jpg
    Painnt_20230917075501.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Painnt_20230917075539.jpg
    Painnt_20230917075539.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 27
I can really like that tortoise- even with a turquoise background! What kind of paper is that? Are you letting the pastel layers build until they blend themselves or finger-blending? They look nicely soft.

I can really like that tortoise- even with a turquoise background! What kind of paper is that? Are you letting the pastel layers build until they blend themselves or finger-blending? They look nicely soft.
The tortoise is my favourite but not sure what to do next. At the moment I'm trying to fix them.no luck. Used glass fixer and standard fixer. 3 layers later, still smudging.

They are hard textured A4 cards I use for pen sketches usually. I find pastel layering almost impossible, so tend to mix n match. Platypus is finger blended, hair is layered, and layered and layered. The tortoise is mostly layered, but think I may have blended the neck.

I never use fix. I store pieces in/under glassine until framed under glass or even plexiglass in a pinch. I find fixitif to be more bother than it's worth, neither truly fixing the work so it still needs careful storing and framing, plus it changes value structure by darkening lights, so you gotta go in and touch those up then face the same need for careful storing again.

Personally, for inexpensive framing options, if it is on a textured surface, I'd use a clip frame; placing the work right up against the surface, and clipping it tightly- it can't move so doesn't smear or smudge.

I never use fix. I store pieces in/under glassine until framed under glass or even plexiglass in a pinch. I find fixitif to be more bother than it's worth, neither truly fixing the work so it still needs careful storing and framing, plus it changes value structure by darkening lights, so you gotta go in and touch those up then face the same need for careful storing again.

Personally, for inexpensive framing options, if it is on a textured surface, I'd use a clip frame; placing the work right up against the surface, and clipping it tightly- it can't move so doesn't smear or smudge.
Great ideas. I avoid using them because of storage and framing limitations.

Back