Saturday afternoon

Terri

Supporting Member
Reflex-20 Brad.jpg

Taken with a 50's era Reflex 20 camera. Slower shutter speeds back then, made for the fastest film that was on the ‘50s market which was +/-100 ISO. I used Ilford FP4 (ISO 125). Now the FUN part here is that this camera was also made to accept only 620 film, which is technically 120 film that was rolled onto a slightly different film spool that doesn’t fit into regular medium format cameras.

But my husband took this challenge a step further and bought a 35mm film adapter that can fit into these cameras and allow you to shoot this smaller format. The fun part is getting those sprocket holes from the smaller film to show and just leave them as an additional element. This particular shot showed a light leak or possibly some kind of reflection. I took it towards the end of the roll, and the rest of the roll had zero light leaks so we’re thinking as the roll decreased in diameter towards the end, this light got through. Fortunately, I accept light leaks as gifts from the photography gods. ;) Thanks for looking!

Thank you, Lazarus! I never know how much to explain about some of my stuff; this one is definitely out there a bit. ;) I'm so happy you like it. ❤️

These are so cool Terri. Surprises are the best. My husband had a darkroom for a few years. Requested all older negatives from my Mom and we reprinted and enlarged quite a few older pics from the 1950's. It was fun!

This is great! I like the scene and I think the light leak adds an interesting atmosphere to it. Thanks for explaining your process too 👍

These are so cool Terri. Surprises are the best. My husband had a darkroom for a few years. Requested all older negatives from my Mom and we reprinted and enlarged quite a few older pics from the 1950's. It was fun!
Thanks so much, Cindy! I'm glad you like it.

That sounds like a wonderful project for your family. I'm betting everyone was thrilled to see those family pictures! ❤

This is great! I like the scene and I think the light leak adds an interesting atmosphere to it. Thanks for explaining your process too 👍
You're welcome, Kay! I'm always afraid I'm boring people. ;) I appreciate your comments - thanks so much! Happy you like it.

That's really cool! There is such a science to photography and I don't understand a bit of it but I can appreciate the results!

That's really cool! There is such a science to photography and I don't understand a bit of it but I can appreciate the results!
That's a lovely thing to say, Donna! Thank you so much. 💓

That is so cool seeing the sprocket holes as if you had the negative in your hands. Nice shot.

Terri...what a brilliant work of art. This is so outstanding, you should win an award for this piece. I'm not kidding.

I may not be a photographer, but I do collect a bit of it and look at a lot of it. I absolutely love this. It's got everything going for it. It's a perfect thing. I keep looking at. At first I wished he was pushed even higher up in the frame so that his head would be cut off, but, looking at it again, it's actually exactly where it should be where the fade out begins strongest at his chest. and his head does become cropped just slightly into the sprocket hole.

Now I can't get over how awesome it is just the way it is. It's a stellar photograph. It kind of overwhelms me more and more.

♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Wow, I'm kind of overwhelmed by such high praise - it means a lot coming from you. Thank you so much!! ❤️ I did think you'd like it, since you've used a Holga, and you like other low-tech photography.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :)

Great impact !

I never thought a light leak on one of my home rolled film spools was a good thing, but here a serendipitous event has created a very evocative, wonderful image !

Oh, I never automatically discount a light leak. ;) But then, I shoot a Holga in addition to these cameras, so part of the experience is to see what happens with the light.

Thank you so much for the kind words, Trier! ❤️ I'm really happy you like it.

The light leak, reflection, glare or whatever just adds an element of mystery to the film. His head would have been cut off anyway so this works much better. :giggle:❤️

The light leak, reflection, glare or whatever just adds an element of mystery to the film. His head would have been cut off anyway so this works much better. :giggle:❤️
Seems to me you get it, Snoball! Thank you so much for commenting. ❤️ I'm happy you like it.

I like this, as a street scene, and it speaks to the temporary nature of images. Love the sprocket holes. Thanks for the explanation, I wish more people explained how they did their art. I looked up the Rolex 20, an interesting camera, might be cheap but Kodak knew how to make cameras. :)

Back