same direction

Bongo

this is just an observation - I find when I apply a second coat of gesso - in the same direction - as the first coat, it comes out super smooth. I don't even bother sanding or applying a third coat. I use gesso straight out of the tub so it's pretty thick, and thinking about it, applying paint in the same direction is going to fill the valleys left by the first coat just as good as if you went against it. The brush slides off the peaks and lays paint in the valleys. just as when you go across - except when you go across the paint hits the "ridge" left by the first coat and applies a little extra paint, sort of like rubbing a brush on the side of a paint can. -- at least that's one theory. But the proof is in the pudding - at least from my experience, would like to hear from others.

it's on a panel. I might add, l lay the paint down and then gently "feather" it, drag the brush gently across the wet paint. This does a lot of the smoothing.

I see. I definitely would still have to give it a fine sanding, on either panel or canvas. Only because I prefer it, not because it's a "must."

I see. I definitely would still have to give it a fine sanding, on either panel or canvas. Only because I prefer it, not because it's a "must."
yes, even more smooth with sanding.

But I'm finding with oil paint I want a little tooth, so I've stopped sanding and it seems to leave just enough. But I want it even - little or no brush strokes. Some people like to leave brush strokes in the gesso because they think it looks more "painterly".

But to me brushstrokes have to follow form - look organic to the painting process otherwise, it looks like what it is - paint slapped on top of a sloppily painted surface. imo

should add - I don't mind subtle texture on a gessoed support. So not sanding leaves a fine "weave" - thin uniform, unidirectional marks, or if you apply cross strokes when you gesso and then don't sand - a checkered-like pattern both imo look okay. It's the mishmash of strokes that some find appealing that I do not.

Last edited:
I love a super smooth surface. I like those Ampersand gessoboard for this in the last few years. They are so slick. I love that. I can build layers, glazes, etc. Just my preference.

Back