Roses

Donna T

Hi everyone - this is my first post here and my first attempt at plein air in a long time. Murray's lovely roses inspired me to try the ones blooming along the side of my house. Roses are hard to paint! Of course the light moved quickly but at least it wasn't windy or too cold. 6x8 on UART paper mounted to board.

IMG_3225RosesCS.jpg

Lovely colors! I like the one in shadow. Well done! :)

Welcome again, if I haven't welcome you already. There are so many new members coming in, I may be having a hard time getting things straight, but now that you've posted your art, I can place a name to a style of work (I'm pretty good with that), and I do love your style. This is a beauty! May I ask what media you used for this. It almost looks like oil pastels. It's really lovely. ♥️

Thanks snoball and Terri! I'm glad you could tell the dark rose was supposed to be in shadow. I wasn't sure about it.

Thank you Artyczar and thanks for the welcome. I just jumped right in here. This is soft pastels done on a repurposed board. It was already stained darker on the left side so I thought it would work for the shaded parts.

A lovely piece with lovely vivid colours. I love how you have used the stained side of the board to your advantage, I really like how you have one of the roses in shade. :)

Donna T, the darker rose definitely seems to be in shadow and it's, I think, clever way to give some space to a small detailed painting like this. Beautiful job done with this one! Not too windy and warm weather is so nice experience for plein air. I like the yellow (ochre?) hazy background/hint of sky.

Thanks very much for the comments Lazarus, Triduana and Moscatel. The yellow color in the background is actually the side of the house but if it reads as sky that works too!

Thanks very much for the comments Lazarus, Triduana and Moscatel. The yellow color in the background is actually the side of the house but if it reads as sky that works too!
I think the breaker is/are are the blue lines that almost unseen.

Hi everyone - this is my first post here and my first attempt at plein air in a long time. Murray's lovely roses inspired me to try the ones blooming along the side of my house. Roses are hard to paint! Of course the light moved quickly but at least it wasn't windy or too cold. 6x8 on UART paper mounted to board.

View attachment 10841
Hi Donna, more convincing than mine. great work, I like it a lot

Hi Murray and thanks. Your roses are plenty convincing and I owe you a thanks for the idea of attempting them. They scare me!

Thanks Perry.

Your roses have a loose, spontaneous look. I love the contrast between the left shaded part and the right sun-lit roses.

Esther

Back