River Boat House

ZenDruid

Supporting Member
My first real experiment with alcohol markers in a 6x9 inch sketchbook. Referenced from my original photo, below, taken during a boat trip in 2010 on the Hudson River, New York.

1670706369428.jpeg

I started with a light blue Prismacolor Col-Erase pencil to get the basic elements laid down. Then I began inking in the details lightly with a Pigma Micron 005 followed by heavier lines with a 03 and brush. The coloring is a combination of Berol Prismacolor pencils and Rose Art pencils. But more importantly a new set of Brea Reese alcohol markers. I found out it's easy to get heavy-handed with those. For example, the black shadows were done with a blue-grey marker which went very dark, almost black. I toned them down some with a white pencil. I'm not crazy about how the water in the foreground came out, that's a practice for another day. Obviously a rough sketch, no attempt at accuracy. C&C welcome.

This is a neat house, and boat, and riverfront location, I wouldn't mind a couple of weeks there in the summer.

1670707902414.jpeg

Wow! For a first attempt with these markers, you should be pretty pumped! I think it looks just fine. That's a lot of detail work in there, and it's very well done.

I agree that the house itself is pretty fantastic. I bet they chug up and down the Hudson all the time on that boat. ❤️ More power to 'em!

Hope to see more like this from you!

Wow! For a first attempt with these markers, you should be pretty pumped! I think it looks just fine. That's a lot of detail work in there, and it's very well done.

I agree that the house itself is pretty fantastic. I bet they chug up and down the Hudson all the time on that boat. ❤️ More power to 'em!

Hope to see more like this from you!
Thanks Terri! 😀 Since you asked, and I know you didn't, I got this picture of the boat on the return trip...

1670709291483.jpeg

Very well done Zen! I wish I could control those markers like that. I tried them and failed. This is really great! I can do the Micron pens, but not the alcohol ones. I love the style of this. The trees are especially appealing! I hope you do more. ♥️

Thank you Ayin! ❤️ I'm glad you like the style, I call it Lopsided Architecture School. I will be trying more of it. I appreciate your comment about the trees, I was afraid they were becoming a hot mess. ;)

a serious departure from what you have shown previously .. sounds like you are having fun. I think that's really cool for a first. Careful, you could get good at this and then you need a bigger wallet. :ROFLMAO:

a serious departure from what you have shown previously .. sounds like you are having fun. I think that's really cool for a first. Careful, you could get good at this and then you need a bigger wallet. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks Wayne! Yes, I started here doing acrylic abstracts (for want of a better description) I've done 18 so far. But those are my magic mystery tour, I worry about them and they can sit on the easel for weeks. I needed to break out of that rut so I started drawing again a year ago. It's been liberating, I did this drawing in two days, when I had a free moment. I've done other sketches really fast, in a "mad minute", freely drawing on my subconscious for reference. That can get scary :ROFLMAO:

Donald, very well rendered structure. I never tried alcohol markers, but they worked beautifully in your hands.

I'd be really happy if I could to something like this on my hundredth try, Zen, and think you will be doing more of this. You chose such a difficult subject - and you nailed it! I don't know anything about markers - can you layer them to blend at all?

Cool! It's so fresh and lively, but you did it from an old photo. Very nice!

I know nothing about alcohol markers, but I sure like the look of this :) Can't wait for the Zorro and Ghostman alcohol ink drawings that surely will follow 🤣

I don't know anything about markers - can you layer them to blend at all?
Thank you Donna. ❤️ I think if I put down light colors first, darker colors could be blended over them. I need to experiment with that. The set I bought has 24 colors, the usual primaries, complimentaries, and a few pastels. I'll probably buy another set of light shades. What I do like is they dry quickly, so I can mix them up with pen and pencil.

Last edited:
Thank you Terri, Ayin, Wayne, Joy, Donna, Lamar, QueenBee, Moscatel and Arnie - Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, I think I'll be doing more of this style of work ❤️
:) (y)

Thank you Ayin! ❤️ I'm glad you like the style, I call it Lopsided Architecture School. I will be trying more of it. I appreciate your comment about the trees, I was afraid they were becoming a hot mess. ;)
Not a hot mess at all, but I know the feeling. Sometimes, ya gotta walk away from it for a day and come back with fresh eyes to see what a genius you are!

Back