Ritz (xpost Plein Air)

Bartc

Puttin' on the Ritz today! Painting group at the beach by the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay. I painted 2:
"Ritz Sketch" 6x4" pen on paper;
"Ice Plant" 6x4" pen and Inktense on paper.
Havin' fun. B. Charlow, Half Moon Bay, CA. 2024
Ritz sketches.jpg
Ice plant sketch at Ritz 2024.jpg

Delightful sketches. Isn't pen and inktense fun? It's my favorite medium to work in.

Delightful sketches. Isn't pen and inktense fun? It's my favorite medium to work in.
Thanks, Ann. Yes ink sketching is fun. I added the quick dashes of InkTense pencil because I didn't have time to break out the watercolors, nor did I want to overdo it using water on the InkTense. The ink alone might have been better than the color added end result, but as a quick vignette of a delightful scene, it works either way for me.

They are both lovely but I like the pen and ink sketch especially.
Not surprising as it's your ink artwork that is so evocative and expressive to me too.
Actually, the ice plant was originally just in ink and I liked it. But the colors were also interesting and I didn't feel I had time to use pure watercolor at that point, so I added the Inktense watercolor pencil colors. Don't love them but they're OK in this piece.

Not surprising as it's your ink artwork that is so evocative and expressive to me too.
Actually, the ice plant was originally just in ink and I liked it. But the colors were also interesting and I didn't feel I had time to use pure watercolor at that point, so I added the Inktense watercolor pencil colors. Don't love them but they're OK in this piece.
Thank you Bart.

I had not heard of inktense until recently and I do not know how it is used. Must check it out. Judging by your results it will probably be a good thing to use while sketching quickly on location, an activity that I am particularly fond of.

Balaji, Derwent InkTense is either a pencil or a stick of water soluble color that when dries becomes a permanent ink-like stain. So you can use it like pencils or like watercolor or both. If you have any familiarity with watercolor pencils, this is the "ink" version. So once dry it won't lift, the way watercolors do. Worth looking into.

Balaji, Derwent InkTense is either a pencil or a stick of water soluble color that when dries becomes a permanent ink-like stain. So you can use it like pencils or like watercolor or both. If you have any familiarity with watercolor pencils, this is the "ink" version. So once dry it won't lift, the way watercolors do. Worth looking into.
Thank you Bart for the information. Sounds interesting. I will definitely give it a go.

Back