Replacing childproof caps

Marc

I suspect I'm not the first to do this. I had a bottle of Old Holland cold pressed linseed with a childproof cap that broke and there was no way that stupid large piece of plastic was coming off. I put it to one side for a few months, then decided I may as well try breaking it off to get some use of it even with a reduced life span. I slowly cut it off with a bonsai tool of all things. I was surprised to find that the bottle thread looked very conventional. Why I was surprised seems odd itself. It can't have been the first time I saw the thread, but I guess I never inspected it.

Took a cap off an empty bottle of wine, (Here in New Zealand our wine bottles are pretty much exclusively resealable caps. They tried composite cork plastic cork and caps. the caps worked best.) rinced it with water, dried it, put it on the Old Holland bottle. It fit perfectly. Tried the Winsor & Newton bottles, also perfect. I decided that it would be best to use the ones with silvered inner seals instead of the white plastic inner seals because that was the type used inside the original medium bottles. It's been about a year now and no strange reactions. I have no small children in my care so have no safety quarms about doing this. The bottles don't jam up with medium at all, open easily, and even look much better. Whenever I get a new medium bottle now, the childproof goes straight in the bin.

On those annoying childproof caps one has to push down on and twist to open, there is an outer, looser cap one can cut away carefully to leave the inner normal cap.

On those annoying childproof caps one has to push down on and twist to open, there is an outer, looser cap one can cut away carefully to leave the inner normal cap.
Wait... That's all it takes? i might have to start doing that. :ROFLMAO:

... one can cut away carefully to leave the inner normal cap.
Yes I'd heard that, but I found the thread broken on it. So the whole thing had to come off. As it is, it's so much easier just to use the wine tops. I've started keeping the caps with nothing printed on them. They don't function any better, but they don't look as tatty as one with a winery label. I've told many about it locally. When I mentioned it to an old lady in the local art shop she said. "yes, that's what I do, and my friend does too." I wonder if I'm the one who started it or if I'm just late to the party. :whistle:

I used to be able to stick a skinny bladed screwdriver between the two caps and "force" the outer
off--or, the inner lid out. Now my SIL cuts them off for me. I use the inner lid on my pill bottles, too--no more hassle with trying to get those darn things off. Been doing it for years.

I used to be able to stick a skinny bladed screwdriver between the two caps and "force" the outer
off--or, the inner lid out. Now my SIL cuts them off for me. I use the inner lid on my pill bottles, too--no more hassle with trying to get those darn things off. Been doing it for years.
The removal job is much easier if you first make a few vertical cuts in the outer cap with a Stanley knife.

The removal job is much easier if you first make a few vertical cuts in the outer cap with a Stanley knife.
The cap has two sets of threads, so after you take it off the first time you can put it back on upside down and it won't lock - acts like a regular cap.

Untitled-3.jpg

Went to replace a cap yesterday and found it didn't work. "Oh no, have W&N changed their threads?" Nope, just a different tread to that wine bottle. Another saved cap worked just fine. The first one did go on, but it wasn't a good seal. It could be jiggled up and down a little.
Which by the way, was a problem I had with some cheap empty paint tubes. The very same caps they came with jiggled. Not impressed.

The cap has two sets of threads, so after you take it off the first time you can put it back on upside down and it won't lock - acts like a regular cap.

View attachment 20023
Yup, tried this on a couple of bottles and it works (of course it does, you said it would ;) ) Amazing, one of those life hacks they never tell you about. Thanks! (y)

Back