Recommended paper to use pismacolor premier (indigo color)?

joe1It

Hi, I wanted to ask for advice, I wanted to ask which paper you use, which paper is best for using prismacolor premier color.

Months ago I then found and bought an indigo blue. to use blue alone to try designs, like, blue, indigo.
Initially I made some drawings, in the last month or two I thought about reusing it, maybe using it more continuously but I can't decide with which paper I should use it. I don't know if it's better smooth, rough, cardboard. (Impression and that maybe smooth is ok, doubtful and that it crumbles more)

I tried it on some sheets I had,
only on sketchbook I am undecided whether to use it, for now not, because of the dust and not dirtying one side, I use both sides of the notebook.

I used on white printer paper, 160 grams, and 200 grams, I used
i also used Canson XL / Sketch and Drawing Pad A4 90 g / sqm 120 Sheets Natural White Ivory,
also tried photocopy paper 90 g, white and one recycled,
summarizing I have photocopy paper, sketchbook
I have these and also album, canson c4, smooth paper 24x33 cm Weight 200g / m (similar to fabiano F4, these in particular are the easiest drawing papers to find in stationery or supermarkets, from me, they exist rough or smooth, I have this smooth c4, when I tried the smooth paper I preferred it so I mostly have smooth or medium paper, I tried these and some sheets mi teintes, an album, maybe the most beautiful paper, this is also rough in reality) and a couple of bristol paper.
In recent years I have therefore started to accumulate paper .. (and pencils), often one for a different brand, strange notebooks, so a lot of chaos,
I put a drawing (2 in a paper )I made in October with this colored pencil, the pencil I am talking about, I found this handy, I don't remember the sheet, maybe cardboard paper printer.
thanks

2021-10-22 02-24_pagina_4.jpg

I forgot to ask if newsprint is suitable for drawing, if it goes well with prismacolor premier?, regardless of whether it is archival paper.
I had not found my own newspaper,
I have some recycled paper, darker than white, similar to newspaper I once found.

For this blue pencil I would expect some extra white paper. Art papers often come in small color variations.
Photocopy or document paper is easy to find and rather low cost, although prices can vary much with the quality. Photocopy or printer paper has to be very smooth and able to pass easily through the printer rollers without jam. However it doesn't have enough "tooth" to keep an adequate pigment quantity in order to give dark shades. Furthermore, printer paper is quite fine, usually around 80g/m2 . A thicker paper would be more resistant to the manipulations needed for the pencil work. I don't know well the colored pencil techniques, I know better the graphite pencil drawing where one has to apply many layers with various grades of graphite from very hard to softer and softer up to the desired values. All this makes the use of heavier paper much safer.

I don't think that newspaper is really archival. Older newspapers were yellow or even light brown in several months or 1 year. Newer paper is more resistant, mostly because the printing industry doesn't like high paper acidity (it is bad for the printing equipment), however I think that archival paper for art means more than that. You can check your papers by fixing small pieces of paper on a window glass for some weeks or a few months, keeping some other pieces of that same paper in dark envelopes, away from the light. This test isn't really rigorous but it can show a tendency.

Classic, thank you very much for your reply, explanations and clarifications on the cards.
mi aoita thank you very much, true on heavy paper,
actually with the light and cheap paper it is difficult or I can't erase, or I dent the sheet, the thicker best sheets, also allowed to erase, and therefore allow to work with the layers as recommended by Ken.

I'm sorry, I misspelled on newspaper,
I meant, that I don't have to keep, archive the drawings,
but I don't know if it was okay, I read, saw on the internet that the newspaper is recommended, indicated for charcoal.
for prismacolor, I don't know, maybe it's okay, it should be tried,
I have an album that has recycled newspaper on it, but the color is almost dark gray.
prismacolor of other colors for trial I do not keep any I have only the indigo blue pencil of the brand prismacolor premier.
thanks for clarification and help.

With this indigo pencil you can't probably obtain very dark values as you can with black. That's why on a gray paper the contrast will be rather weak and the drawing will be not really vivid. This kind of papers is good to use with a combination of dark and light colors including tones lighter than the paper's tone (ie white, light gray etc).

Of course, there aren't absolute rules in art practice. One can try to find how to use a given material the best manner.

Glad you're enjoying drawing with your indigo pencil, Joe - that's one of my favourite colours, and I enjoy seeing your sketches with it.

I find it very difficult to guess how coloured pencils will work on different surfaces, and I'm often surprised by them. Recently I've been using a sketchbook that has paper with a similar feel to copy paper, and coloured pencil works very well on it. I also use rougher sketch paper - from lots of different brands - and that's more hit and miss (some good results, some really awful).

So, I'd keep experimenting on all the surfaces you have, and hopefully you'll start to find which qualities work for you. It might be that copy paper is the closest match to what you're looking for - in which case, there are lots of great drawing papers from the big brands that have a similar surface.

I agree with triss, it's probably best to keep experimenting yourself. There are some papers (eg Stonehenge or Strathmore Bristol Vellum) which are very popular for full-coverage work with Prismacolor and other coloured pencils (because those papers will accept multiple layers of pencil well), but if you are sketching with a single colour and not layering much, you don't really need that feature (and those papers are expensive).

As classic said though, bright white would probably be best (so you can leave white highlights). If you want to use a mid tone paper then you would really need a white pencil too, to create those highlights, and a darker one for darks.

Classic, understood, yes, now I understand the colors, right, thank you very much, I will reuse it.
yesterday i used brown kraft paper, an attempt with a red pencil (sometimes i wanted to take indigo, i couldn't find it and i ended up taking a lot of reds as an alternative) and an attempt using black and also some white, black and white is best noticeable when you think about it.

Triss, thank you very much, for indication, impressions and advice. i will try other drawings with indigo pencil. happy you like this color too.

HawKmoth, thank you very much for information and clarifications,
i have some pages of bristol brands, another brand, strathmore i didn't find it,
I had looked for bristol that I just wanted to learn how to layering drawing with graphite, learn to make long drawings, try to learn realistic drawings, try to follow the beautiful explanations on Ken's forum, Jacksparrow WC moderator.
But I struggled with pencils, with technique and scratch, and dirty the paper. after I lightly bumped my shoulder against the wall, my right arm got tired and I stopped trying to learn shading.

anyway thanks to everyone for the advice, I will do some new drawings with indigo, I think it is a beautiful color, and I think it is also a nice pencil to use, circular shaft, light, compared to other colored pencils stains the hand, for dust, I thought maybe to a latex glove.

Back