Rebelle 5 Pro - Review

Hermes2020

This review of Rebelle 5 Pro should be of interest to the digital painters here.

Another good overview:

Last edited:
It seems like a very nice piece of software. One would like to try it. it also makes me want to use one I had gotten
6 months ago with ipad I bought a softawre, art rage, I think it's nice and it's cheap (5 euros), I used it little because I then installed an app more similar to what I had tried on a pc in the past, also for the keys , since I have to learn with 2 software or more I get confused but I'm also sorry

There's a question I've had for years,
if we have never painted in oil or watercolor, we could directly try to learn with a software that simulates so well (while perhaps we study from books or tutorials, courses made with the real medium), or we should first learn on the real medium and then go digital?

You will get different answers to your interesting question, depending on who you ask. I am not a professional, so my opinion is probably unreliable, but I think that even if you have never touched physical paints or other artist's materials, it is possible to produce valid works of art in this kind of software. The simulation can never be 100% accurate, but on the other hand, the real materials could never do some of the things that are possible with software. My feeling is that you could develop excellent drawing, composition, and colour usage skills in the software that would be applicable when you start using physical media.

Another factor is cost. Once you have the software, you can discard works you don't like without worrying about the price of paint and canvas.

Ler's hear what our fellow Creative Sparkers think. 😀

Hermes, thank you very much for your accurate answer. thanks for the hints and advice. and I have, in a little book on painting that I hadn't read,
I will try, yes, also as a stimulus, lately, in recent months apart from forum references, I have no idea what to draw or how to practice and learn the fundamentals, sometimes I think I'll try especially caricatures or portraits but, but in these years I have repeatedly tried to recommunince on the fundamentals, try consistently but at some point i get stuck, one of the things i have been doing the longest, some of the free and moderated classes, class 101 on the old wetcavans forum, with the site change those pages yes they are lost.

one thing about digital that I like and that I can immediately trash the drawing that I don't want to continue without thinking about the cost, or being able to repeat, furthermore I didn't have much space, I tried to keep some drawings, keep them. but if I don't use sketchbook almost all my drawings end up in the recycling. however, by photographing them, as per the advice on the forum, I can still go back to see them, even if I no longer have a sheet.
going back, about 10 or 9 years ago I was wondering how to go back to drawing, to try to learn as much as possible, perhaps together with painting or just chiaroscuro, I like chiaroscuro, if it was possible to learn from home, going back this is also something that I would try differently. I hadn't thought of some things. all this has nothing to do with digital and rebel, one thing about paper and that years ago, I took my first albums but I didn't use them right away that I felt like I was wasting paper, I was always evaluating it as very precious or in any case more than me , and I put off starting for months, the reams of paper made me go through this and also forums like creativespark.art and wetcavans, however the software, there the thought and the initial expense, but you're not afraid of the blank sheet, of wasting paper, or canvas, what you said is true. right, both to not have to continue by force, or just to start a drawing or a painting.

It seems like a very nice piece of software. One would like to try it. it also makes me want to use one I had gotten
6 months ago with ipad I bought a softawre, art rage, I think it's nice and it's cheap (5 euros), I used it little because I then installed an app more similar to what I had tried on a pc in the past, also for the keys , since I have to learn with 2 software or more I get confused but I'm also sorry

There's a question I've had for years,
if we have never painted in oil or watercolor, we could directly try to learn with a software that simulates so well (while perhaps we study from books or tutorials, courses made with the real medium), or we should first learn on the real medium and then go digital?
Great discussion.
Speaking from experience, from a very slow learning painter, it is quicker, easier and was personally very satisfying to use a photograph, scribble or serious attempt at a painting to 'see' colour, composition and style options using digital tools.
My favourite app allowed me to convert an image based on colour scheme used in another work. This taught me a lot about how to use colour. For example, with a screen shot from any work I did not have to imagine how specific choices about colour could impact a work.

Note: I ùsed to joke I had bits not cells in my blood. So, using digital tools appeals to my instincts.

Great discussion.
Speaking from experience, from a very slow learning painter, it is quicker, easier and was personally very satisfying to use a photograph, scribble or serious attempt at a painting to 'see' colour, composition and style options using digital tools.
My favourite app allowed me to convert an image based on colour scheme used in another work. This taught me a lot about how to use colour. For example, with a screen shot from any work I did not have to imagine how specific choices about colour could impact a work.

Note: I ùsed to joke I had bits not cells in my blood. So, using digital tools appeals to my instincts.
I agree wholeheartedly with you about the advantages of digital manipulation of images. It also extends to three dimensions. I use software like Rhino 3D to sculpt virtually and work out proportions and the engineering and technical details of my sculptures. It allows me to rotate the piece and look at it from all angles on the monitor. It can even do photorealistic renders that show me what the sculpture will look like in different settings and with different finishes.

Very interesting subject.
Hermes I agree that Rebelle is an astonishing piece of software that renders watercolor in a terrific way. I spent a good amount of time on Rebelle 4 and it's a nice way to learn about transparencies and colors.
Joe there is a very good web site with a lot of free lessons for both digital and traditional work : CTRL+Paint I think you'll find a lot of good advice whatever the software you use.
For me, softwares can be an excellent alternative to the traditional methods (and a good way to learn) BUT the end result will always be flat: color bits will translate into ink dots. You can't compare a real oil painting or a real watercolor with their equivalent in printed format ... and the pleasure of working with a brush or a pencil is unique...
But I'm sure 3D printers and other machines will very soon produce interesting sculptures ;);)

Very interesting subject.
Hermes I agree that Rebelle is an astonishing piece of software that renders watercolor in a terrific way. I spent a good amount of time on Rebelle 4 and it's a nice way to learn about transparencies and colors.
Joe there is a very good web site with a lot of free lessons for both digital and traditional work : CTRL+Paint I think you'll find a lot of good advice whatever the software you use.
For me, softwares can be an excellent alternative to the traditional methods (and a good way to learn) BUT the end result will always be flat: color bits will translate into ink dots. You can't compare a real oil painting or a real watercolor with their equivalent in printed format ... and the pleasure of working with a brush or a pencil is unique...
But I'm sure 3D printers and other machines will very soon produce interesting sculptures ;);)
Thanks for the link; I will look at it. I only use Rhino 3D software as a tool to help me design and work out the practical details of the sculptures I've been making in concrete for a number of years now. The 3D digital model is never the final product in my work.

thank you very much for the ideas and for the hints and for the clarifications.
Erik, thank you, yes ctrl, it's a great site,
6 years ago I had taken a graphic tablet for the pc, then I had abandoned it after 5 months, that site was one of the things I had used, which I thought explained better also unfortunately I don't understand English, I need it to be written, I had thought about one of their courses but I didn't understand English, their free videos, especially if on youtube or if they have a text, I understand them better, I've been using digital for 6 months, this time I have different programs, procreate and artrage, I was thinking of go back to ctrl, even if it was doubtful whether I could find the same functions, so if I was able to follow it, I didn't go right away because of this doubt and because my computer had broken and I didn't have it for a few months. thank you

3d sculpture is fascinating, months ago I downloaded a free app on my tablet and then one called nomad sculpture ,
I tried a little, but I didn't draw anything, I tried to see the functions, commands,

and then I thought I'd try to learn 2d better before trying again but I want to try using it again, also recently they put my language in the program commands.
to repair computers you had to buy a new video card, video cards in recent years had undergone significant increases and in some moments they were not found, doubt and whether to look for one that could (I was about to write a post before buying one, then I didn't) run a program like blender or any to turn on pc and use only ipad to draw.
I finally bought
GeForce GTX 1650, around €250, maybe it's entry level, maybe it's not for 3d graphics. or actually they go but video card affects loading times, maybe instead 2d programs, like rebel maybe they would work.
processor is ntel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz, ram 16 giga

Last edited:
Joe there is a youtube channel for ctrl+paint Matt Kohr. Maybe that with the subtitles you may be able to go through some good information. Now for your computer, the specs are really good. i have the GTX 1650 Ti and also 16 gigs of RAM and my computer runs all heavy programs like Photoshop , Gimp and others... so, you're ready for digital painting if you have a tablet ...
For digital painting, don't buy anything before trying the free program Krita which gives you all the tools and options that the other expensive softwares offer. It's a very good soft that I'm using since a lot of time.

It's interesting to see what hardware you guys are using. My setup was specified to support my 3D needs and it works quite well, without any crashes. I occasionally do some demanding photorealistic renders as well, without any problems. This is my current configuration:

Processor: RYZEN 95950X (3.4GHz, 72MB Cache, 16x Cores
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 2304 CUDA
The graphics card is liquid cooled with an NZXT Kraken Z73. I keep an eye on everything with the NZXT CAM monitoring and control software.

I am thinking of a graphics tablet, but I don't do much drawing, so it will probably be waste of money for me. An recommendations for a tablet would still be welcome, though. I am still on Windows 10 (will wait and see what happens with 11).

Last edited:
Erik, Hermes, thank you very much for the information and clarifications. okay
and thanks for the clarifications on hardware and software.
Hermes, for the graphic tablet, windows 10 is fine, it supports the various tablets, I had windows 8.1 until this month of July.
with regard to spending, I don't think you would waste money, also because it's a low cost, i.e. if you want a tablet without a screen, the choice, the differencez and if you need a tablet without a screen or with a screen, the price changes a lot, without a screen, no you look at the hand when you draw, i already use 3d sculpture, and the various computer graphics programs you are already coordinated hand eye, without a screen you could be fine. moreover, it doesn't take much to get used to, after 2 weeks i started to get used to it, but i wanted both drawing on paper and computer and doing both I always found myself changing my habits of looking at subject and hand. it's a stupid thing, but I got confused about drawing on paper, because I didn't print the references but I looked at them on the computer monitor so I decided to use above all the paper I wanted and I would like to learn how to use it better for drawing,
but also because despite the tutorials I couldn't learn to understand the drawing programs,

6 years ago I replaced the computer thinking about drawing, almost immediately taking a tablet but then I fell in love with paper again. then I had a strong interest in digital again but my pc had broken.

I think you might like to buy a graphics tablet, and I don't think you should spend a lot, but this is a strictly personal thing, also for usage habits.

, without a screen, for €100 you can get one of the most famous and used brands (WACOM, intuos) which works exactly like a screenless one for €300 or €400, without a screen they range from around €50 to 350/400, they only change the sizes and the presence of more keys, the sensitivity, the functioning does not change, even the brand affects the price, but this is to be evaluated if you take the tablet with the screen because without the difference it is lower also because there are 3 ranges of price of the wacom, and if intuos is written in the name the quality of the pressure is always good.

there are various brands in various sizes, 3 sizes, small, medium, large,
this is also personal, but I think it's m , the right size, it's like an a4 sheet, if you like to draw small then ,s ,
then maybe it depends on the monitor, but medium seems to be the right size.
in short, on m which is the measure that should be the most practical,

on amazon it says recommended price €170 but they sell it for €100,

I'll link you to what I was saying

but you
they will say better, an idea could be to go to the wacoom site or write on google, graphic tablets with screen and without for an article where they show models and help in choosing and put various prices.

Joe, thank you for your excellent, detailed response. If I decide to get a tablet, I will probably be from the Wacom line. I have heard that the Intuos models are good, so will look at them. It is always my policy to buy the best, regardless of price, rather than some dubious cheap brand. This applies to shoes, kitchenware, and furniture as well! :)

For the time being, since I work in Rhino 3D most of the time, I will keep using the mouse, which is. in fact, the recommend input device for Rhino.

Glad you found the answer helpful. I agree to go on a more reliable and well-known brand. I like the idea of considering (if I have regrets in life it is because in my most important choice I had thought the right thing but then I did something else by coincidence or following consent or imput of those, even if parent did not care or forced me but without reflection, no logic and empathy) however, I like to And a wacom material. After reading on the net about it I bought an intuos wacom similar to that of the link.

It's interesting to see what hardware you guys are using. My setup was specified to support my 3D needs and it works quite well, without any crashes. I occasionally do some demanding photorealistic renders as well, without any problems. This is my current configuration:

Processor: RYZEN 95950X (3.4GHz, 72MB Cache, 16x Cores
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 2304 CUDA
The graphics card is liquid cooled with an NZXT Kraken Z73. I keep an eye on everything with the NZXT CAM monitoring and control software.

I am thinking of a graphics tablet, but I don't do much drawing, so it will probably be waste of money for me. An recommendations for a tablet would still be welcome, though. I am still on Windows 10 (will wait and see what happens with 11).
Hermes, wow, that's a Ferrari ;) 👏 great config !
I now have a laptop Asus zenbook with the I7 10th generation. It handles quite well two screens and the big photoshop files (and the large brushes) with lots of layers but I suspect that for true 3D it might become a bit slow. I spent some time with Rhino long time ago. Very solid professional program too.
For tablets, go Wacom. I tried Huion but not good at all.

Hermes, it's an interesting video, thank you, it's a video of this artist that I've watched several times to try to understand commands, wears Artrage, I have to see more of his videos, they are beautiful and well done,

Back