Radiant colors

Bongo

Gamblin and others make Radiant colors in oil paint. From what I can determine these have highly pigmented color plus white. So you could use them to mix color without decreasing chroma (?). Does anyone know about Radiant colors, or have experience with them?

I have used a few of the Gamblin radiant colors, but not many. I'd have to look at how many of them I have. Lately, I've used the radiant violet on these, the second one is slightly mixed with some blue.

shabbos-dinner-abandon-272.jpg

king-baby-full72.jpg

WOW! I love these. You are really hitting your stride.

I saw a youtube where a person compared Utrecht's VIVID line of colors with Gamblin's RADIANT line. The Utrecht was noticeably more saturated and held up better when mixed -- also cheaper. not to say that the Gamblin was bad.

Thank you Bongo.

I have never tried any Utrecht paint, so I can't comment on the comparison. I might like the Gamblin for it not being too radiant. ;)

Hi Bongo,
I use the radiant colors quite a bit and I love them. I tend to make high key paintings and I think that having these highly chromatic pigments straight out of the tube saves me time and gives me joy when out in the field. Here is one where I used a lot of radiant green in the young corn field:

And here is a new one that features a lot of the radiant colors:

I know that lots of plein air painters use radiant turquoise for their sky’s and it’s a great color. My favorites happen to be radiant magenta and radiant green. They are pricey but I buy them in big tubes to get the best value.
I hope all is well

Kyle, 16ga, thanks for the info. Didn't know about the gambling page, lots of good info. and Kyle- love those landscapes.

I'm going to try some of Utrek's Vibrant, and Gamblin's Radiant colors. - and I'll report back😑

Back