Putting it out there

So glad you overcame your stage fright and posted your work here, Kat. You have such a beautiful, delicate touch with graphite, and your portraits capture a wonderfully soulful quality of the subjects.

I live in a dilapidated old house, too (though I only have a pair of grumpy dogs for company - I'd love to see all your animals!). I know how it can get depressing, but I tend to think that since my house isn't imminently about to fall down (say, in the next half hour), I may as well do some drawing instead of dealing with all the problems.

I like your attitude. I consider myself lucky to have a roof over my head, so when I catch myself complaining I try shut it down right away. And honestly I think hardships contribute to someone's imagination, if you do it right.

Rooster Cogburn. Basically just his outline.

Attachments

• IMG_20170319_162637_kindlephoto-85261386.jpg
    IMG_20170319_162637_kindlephoto-85261386.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 83
I ran out of ideas so I purchased this doll from the goodwill. She made the perfect model. She sat still for over an hour with nary a twitch.

Attachments

• received_204982673352071.png
    received_204982673352071.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Painting is somewhat like your pencil. It's all about light and value but the medium has more intricies than pencil. There's more to learn about the medium. You know light. Paint is imitation of light with pigment hues.

Kat, you are clearly talented.

It would be great to post your drawings in the Drawing Forum when you get a chance. Also, Terri mentioned one of my favorite books: Art & Fear. Read it. It will really help you (if you haven't read it yet). :)

This is beautiful Kat! What media is this? Is it done or are you still working on it?
You know, I actually sold it. I help with animal rescues and the woman who saw this sent it to a friend in Manhattan of all places. She asked what I'd take for it? What do you say? It was on copy paper, that started to misbehave when I moistened it just a little bit, and it took....well...I was doodling. She liked the eyes. That's it. It's gone. Wow. That picture bought me lunch (lol)

Back