Putting it out there

KatShealy

Overcoming a kind of stagefright. Sooo...looking for pointers.

Attachments

• IMG_20211025_013726.jpg
    IMG_20211025_013726.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 97
that is really really good .. the viewer left eye doesn't register as correct to me but I draw with a knife or brush. If you changed a small piece of the value to the viewer left of that eyeball [bottom half of the pupil] by 1/2 value it will correct the problem. It will supply the missing white of the eye or the reflection of the white of the eye .. just a small piece.

Welcome, Kat! This is beautiful! I can't add anything for pointers, but want to encourage you to keep posting your work here. We're a friendly bunch, and aim to keep it that way. :) Hopefully you will overcome your stage fright here.

that is really really good .. the viewer left eye doesn't register as correct to me but I draw with a knife or brush. If you changed a small piece of the value to the viewer left of that eyeball [bottom half of the pupil] by 1/2 value it will correct the problem. It will supply the missing white of the eye or the reflection of the white of the eye .. just a small piece.
Thank you so very much. I will get on that tonight. It helps to use someone else's eyes.

Welcome, Kat! This is beautiful! I can't add anything for pointers, but want to encourage you to keep posting your work here. We're a friendly bunch, and aim to keep it that way. :) Hopefully you will overcome your stage fright here.
Thank you Terri. I intend to enjoy the beautiful art posted by others, too. This will be fun.

I want to paint, but chicken out and fall back on same old #2 pencil. And never seen to finish anything. The gallery that was going to display my art closed for good. The only other place I can go would be in Roanoke, Va. About an hour and a half away. I may just keep it a fun pasttime.

Attachments

• IMG_20170927_165825.jpg
    IMG_20170927_165825.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 88
That is a talent. You don't need paint. Beautiful. You capture light with a pencil.

I want contrast, though. There is nothing as beautiful as sunlight on a face, especially if can bring out the transparency of the eyes. I'm not even close to there. Trying to enjoy the works of other artists without being intimidated by them.

Thank you so very much. I will get on that tonight. It helps to use someone else's eyes.

Attachments

• 1635204252378988167921.jpg
    1635204252378988167921.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 86
This is my first attempt. I had messed up and tried again. That would have been the picture you had given your much needed pointers on. I believe I had been trying to blend that left eye. It's all an experiment (lol)

I want contrast, though. There is nothing as beautiful as sunlight on a face, especially if can bring out the transparency of the eyes. I'm not even close to there. Trying to enjoy the works of other artists without being intimidated by them.
Kat, you mentioned your #2 pencil. Do you have a complete drawing pencil set? Some of these sketches look like you're using more than one value. A decent set will give you enough tonal range to get good contrast. It's not about color.

I'm a beginner, and self taught. I completely understand being intimidated by some of the artists here. ;) But everyone is happy to share tips and guidance, which is how we learn!

Thank you. One drawing of Dreamerwas drawn with anything I had on hand. I do have pencil sets. But graphite can shine and I don't want that. I tried charcoal but I have trouble controlling it. I have begun to watch Casey Baugh on Youtube. He uses a satchel fill with charcoal powder then brings out the features and light with an eraser. I really need a space for nothing but art so that all I have to do is sit down when the blank paper calls me.

I really need a space for nothing but art so that all I have to do is sit down when the blank paper calls me.
Like a studio! ;) And I hope you can carve out a room, or a dedicated corner of a room, for that very purpose. You're very talented.

I think I've heard of this technique, or style, you just described. Subtractive, maybe?

Like a studio! ;) And I hope you can carve out a room, or a dedicated corner of a room, for that very purpose. You're very talented.

I think I've heard of this technique, or style, you just described. Subtractive, maybe?
Yes. A studio. Since I don't know anyone here and we will probably never meet I can be honest, I suppose. I live in an old log cabin that doesnt even have indoor plumbing. I feel guilty when I draw. It seems like I should be doing something else more constructive. I'm not nearly as smart as I thought I was, thinking I could somehow fix this old place up
That, too, would take talent I dont seem to have. So it's me , my three dogs (two of which dont get along) two old crippled roosters that dont get along, a horse and donkey that I feed and water and 4 cats that someone dropped off and decided they would own me.
So there.

There is a quote from somewhere that I will share with everyone..a question really. "What would you do if you knew you wouldn't fail?" I think fear holds us all back from something, don't you?

No question! Fear is both a driving force (survival instincts) and a brick wall to run into. A pita, isn't it? :)

A good short book on how fear can interrupt the creative process is Art & Fear, a very slender book well worth the read.

Now I'm interested in seeing portraits of the critters. Never feel guilty when you draw! You ARE doing something constructive, of course. It's good for the mind, which is good for the body and soul, and makes you better able to take care of those sweet animals.

So there. ❤

I will have to look for the animal drawings. Will older ladies do? And I did try to paint.

Attachments

• 20191119_193945.jpg
    20191119_193945.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210328_164906~2.jpg
    20210328_164906~2.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 86
Back