Process of my realistic oil painting, figurative painting

ArtistRamyaSadasivam

This is my oil painting. This is the process of the painting. I create a skeleton, demarcate the light zone from shadow zones and then I fine tune it. How is it people <3

New Project (2).png

Thank you for another interesting and instructive post from you. Once again, I notice something that happens to me time and again: I usually love the early stages as much, or even more, than the finished works. Don't misunderstand what I am saying; I think your finished painting is beautiful, but so are the first and second stages. I wonder why I react like this—perhaps Artyczar could suggest a possible reason, since I don't have the necessary art theory background.

Quite lovely. From the photos, it looks like you develop your paintings in a manner quite traditional or common... at least from Impressionism onward. By that I mean you immediately jump into establishing the composition in terms of color. That was really the way I was taught to paint in art school. Artists pre-Impressionism commonly began in terms of establishing the composition in terms of value and drawing. That's the way I began and develop my work today. Both ways... and any other method that works for you... are equally valid.

:)

Hermes... you have a strong admiration for Modernism... as do I. I suspect this is part of why you admire the early, less-developed stages of this painting and others. There are aspects of stage 2 that remind me of some of Picasso's Rose Period works. I think one of the greatest challenges in a more "realistic" or "developed" approach to painting is to retain the fluidity/spontaneity/energy/freshness of the early stages of the work. I had a college professor who told me as much: "Starting a painting is easy; completing a painting is hard." He once told me to stop polishing and perfuming my painting. :D

Beautiful process and beautiful result! Thank you for sharing. :giggle:

Hermes... you have a strong admiration for Modernism... as do I. I suspect this is part of why you admire the early, less-developed stages of this painting and others. There are aspects of stage 2 that remind me of some of Picasso's Rose Period works. I think one of the greatest challenges in a more "realistic" or "developed" approach to painting is to retain the fluidity/spontaneity/energy/freshness of the early stages of the work. I had a college professor who told me as much: "Starting a painting is easy; completing a painting is hard." He once told me to stop polishing and perfuming my painting. :D
Yes, you are correct about my preference for art from 1900 on. I guess that does explain why I like the early stages of a painting more. Some time ago I wanted to give myself a bit of a jolt and gave myself the task of tackling two realistic paintings that are totally the opposite of my normal style. One is a painting of some canna lilies and the other is a still life of a pumpkin and a tomato. I thought it would be a good learning exercise, because I tried to mix colours that were believable. What do you think of such a self-imposed assignment?

What do you think of such a self-imposed assignment?

I do this frequently. I assign myself a painting using colors I have rarely ever used. I might need to impose just such an assignment to get myself painting again after a year of chaos without making any art.

Back