Prang crayons

ntl

Contributing Member
I have 3 boxes of "lightly used"Prang crayons.
323x-24 I bought in the fall of 1961. I don't have a black with it.
box of 16, can't find a date
Box of 64 purchased a few years ago.
I have not compared all crayons to each other.
The two older boxes seem to be similar in "softness", ease of application even on top of each other.
The newer box is "harder", same name colors are not the same hues.

Sure wish they hadn't changed the recipe.

I also have other crayons, including crayola, which are even harder...

Of course, oil pastels are easier to use and I have a lot of them. Various brands, and though they may carry the same color name, those hues seem to be a bit different, so of the many brands I have, in the range of "red-orange" I may have that many different hues, which is a good thing.
It's just that the boxes of 24 and 16 crayons are more convenient to have at hand, taking up so little space, more for quick "sketching" rather that more time intense pieces. I use crayons just for ideas at times.

Anybody else use crayons at all?

I remember years ago there was a person on WC who made beautiful paintings with crayon. They were unbelievable. I think a person could use a heat gun after the crayon was applied to soften it.

Yup.

Do you remember that thing called "black magic?" ...when you scribbled all the colors down then covered it with the black crayon and scraped it away to uncover the colors underneath? Kinda like scratchboard? I just remembered that from being a kid.

Yup.

Do you remember that thing called "black magic?" ...when you scribbled all the colors down then covered it with the black crayon and scraped it away to uncover the colors underneath? Kinda like scratchboard? I just remembered that from being a kid.
Yes, that is what I think of when doing scratchboard.

I have 3 boxes of "lightly used"Prang crayons.
323x-24 I bought in the fall of 1961. I don't have a black with it.
box of 16, can't find a date
Box of 64 purchased a few years ago.
I have not compared all crayons to each other.
The two older boxes seem to be similar in "softness", ease of application even on top of each other.
The newer box is "harder", same name colors are not the same hues.

Sure wish they hadn't changed the recipe.

I also have other crayons, including crayola, which are even harder...

Of course, oil pastels are easier to use and I have a lot of them. Various brands, and though they may carry the same color name, those hues seem to be a bit different, so of the many brands I have, in the range of "red-orange" I may have that many different hues, which is a good thing.
It's just that the boxes of 24 and 16 crayons are more convenient to have at hand, taking up so little space, more for quick "sketching" rather that more time intense pieces. I use crayons just for ideas at times.

Anybody else use crayons at all?

I have several sets of the older Prangs. I've had them probably fortyish years. They are square and not separated from each other. I don't know if they ever came individually wrapped or in another shape (?). I recently gave a bunch of them away to a relative for their gkids.

As an aside, my siblings and I used to take our crayons and melt them on top of the heat registers in the living room, where the colors would cascade down the sides...ooooh pretty.... but Mom rather frowned upon that..

Back