Portrait of my brother Xpost colored pencils

Hawkmoth

I attempted to do my sister-in-law in colour but it was a bit of a disaster :oops:, so I've gone back to monochrome. I don't think I'm ready for colour yet, I need more experience just working with light/shade and trying to make the features look natural.
This one of my brother turned out surprisingly well - it's by far the best I've achieved so far.

I just used one Inktense pencil on cold press watercolour paper. I also tried a wax resist crayon for highlights on the beard and hair. The waxed bits have a slightly 'crusty' look. It looks weird in the beard (like he's frosty!) but I quite like it in the hair. I'll try masking fluid next time.

Joel First finished363.jpg

Beautiful portrait. I like the techniques you used, and think the wax resist was very succesfull.

Beautiful work! Values, strokes, everything!
What size and what color inktense pencil, and what type of brush?

Very, very good, as I said in the other thread. It's excellent and I am floored really. ♥️

This is so well done. It is beautiful you must love him very much. It shows in the work.

Thanks so much for your kind comments everyone, they are very much appreciated.
Beautiful work! Values, strokes, everything!
What size and what color inktense pencil, and what type of brush?
I used Inktense pencil 2000 'Bark', and Pentel waterbrushes (I find waterbrushes work well with Inktense pencils). I use a jar of water with the waterbrush as well as filling it, so it's a combination of dip and squeeze!

Any of the darkest Inktense pencils would provide a full range of tones when used with water, but I particularly like the bark colour.

I think using Bockingford paper also helps with correcting tonal mistakes. Inktense is very difficult to lift or scrub, but the Bockingford seems to allow it a bit more than other papers.

Back