Portrait in Tempera and Oils

Andy_in_Vienna

this is one of the first paintings I painted in egg-tempera, on canvas. at university I learned how to make them myself and tube them, most of the pigments I bought in Florence/Italy. It is a very expensive undertaking, to say the least (depending on what pigments you buy). as a finish the painting was glazed in oilpaints (Mussini). the painting measures about 50 x 70 cm and it depicts a young woman named Patricia.

enjoy your day!

Andy

Attachments

• patricia_03_03_2022_DSC_6897_cs.jpg
    patricia_03_03_2022_DSC_6897_cs.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 118
Wow! Very, very nice work. Beautiful!
On what sort of ground did you paint? And what is your recipe for the egg solution, please?

This is indeed most excellent! You must be very proud of this very successful work, Andy. It's so nice to be introduced to your very skilled work. ♥️

You did beautiful work with tempera paint! It must be interesting to paint with colors that you have made yourself.
yes, it is different to painting with ready-made paint ... you know exactly what is in the tube because you made them with your own hands ... some even collect earths in Italy and purify them ... (Terra di Siena e.g.) :)

This is indeed most excellent! You must be very proud of this very successful work, Andy. It's so nice to be introduced to your very skilled work. ♥️
Thank you for this very nice comment! I paint differently today, this one was finished in 2008. Nowadays I try to introduce watercolorly effects to my underpaintings with acrylics ... :)

Wow! Very, very nice work. Beautiful!
On what sort of ground did you paint? And what is your recipe for the egg solution, please?
I painted this on stretched canvas (I stretch them myself) and primed it with acrylic gesso ... there are several recipes for the egg solution, but here is the one I use mostly (that I was taught at Vienna University for Applied Arts):

please note: this egg tempera "grassa", not the one that only consists of egg, water and pigment:

1 part linseed oil
1 part (whole) egg
1 part dammar (solved in turpentine 1:3)

I can tell you more about it if you are interested!

cheers

Andy

1 part linseed oil
1 part (whole) egg
1 part dammar (solved in turpentine 1:3)

I can tell you more about it if you are interested!

Thanks so much, Andy!
So, it being tempera grassa allows you to tube the paint that you've mixed? How long does the tubed paint last before the egg spoils? Does the the addition of linseed oil make the paint flexible enough to paint on canvas?
It's interesting that you use the whole egg and dammar. Also, everything I've learned insists that a rigid panel be used with a traditional marble dust and rabbit skin glue gesso, so this is all fascinating to me.

Thanks so much, Andy!
So, it being tempera grassa allows you to tube the paint that you've mixed? How long does the tubed paint last before the egg spoils? Does the the addition of linseed oil make the paint flexible enough to paint on canvas?
It's interesting that you use the whole egg and dammar. Also, everything I've learned insists that a rigid panel be used with a traditional marble dust and rabbit skin glue gesso, so this is all fascinating to me.
yes, I buy the tubes and fill in the paint ... I have some in store that last since 2007, I think it is the dammar that makes them durable and you can always add preservatives. they are as flexibel as oilpaints you easily paint with them on canvas! sometimes I paint on traditional gessor, too and I love it!
cheers,

Andy

I thought commented but I see I haven't. Not my type of art but your talents are exceedingly abundant and maybe if I had a tiny morsel of your talent I might lean more to realism.

Back