Performance anyone?

Roni

[preface: since we don't have a category/sub-forum for our own performance-work either in "media" nor "genre", I'm posting this here. Maybe the mods would create such a category (if others in the forum are active in this field as well) and then shift this thread there.]

I had phases when I did performance-art, mostly working with video and/or written words. Here's a video-example:

On Feb 22, 2017 at the 30th day of death of Andy Warhol I posted a couple of several very short videos online during the day as a homage.
Each video was Exactly 15 seconds [where I've "been" Andy Warhol], in reference to his famous quote about the 15-mins-of-fame, which gave the performance its title:

“In The Future, Everyone Will Be Andy Warhol For 15 Seconds”
(this is also in German language what the headline says in each video)
here's a melted combination of all those videos together in one row:

Last edited:
Cool Roni! I think I recognized the first few Hebrew words...not sure. What were they? The last few, definitely not. Was one of them "Loving kindness?"

the first few Hebrew words...not sure. What were they?
That's the very beginning of creation, according to the Torah (book of "Genesis"):

"Bereshit bara Elohim et ha-shamaim vet ha-arez"
"In the beginning God created the sky and the earth" (literally: "the land")

Ah. They were familiar. I almost said the Firmament, but maybe that wasn't in the bunch.

They were familiar ...
So, are you knowing the language a bit?
I would love to, but never really got into it, being lazy and not gifted and etc.
My approach so far, however, is limited to what you basically need to know for a minimum-understanding of Kabbalah. (That's where my interest in the language came from and it was way before Madonna made the subject a popular fashion.)

My knowledge of it is exactly the same as yours and for the exact same reasons. I have been loosely studying Kabbalah for a while now. (The Kabbalah that Madonna and Sandra Bernhardt did was part of a cult--led by Stephen Berg who I believe wound up in jail, not the same thing as real Kabbalah.)

I took one Hebrew class so I know how it works as far as grammatically, but I don't know much more.

Looks like you know more than me, but maybe I know a few things you might now know either--you never know. We can exchange talks, maybe on another thread. Nothing wrong with it, especially since we've both addressed it in our art. I will create a thread somewhere else. ;)

Ummmm... maybe I don't understand, but what does Martin Luther, one of the most notorious anti-Semites in history, have to do with Jewish mysticism?

Interesting video/performance! I like the music/sound design on it, but also made me wish my German was better. I can recognize the meaning of enough individual words to sorta figure out what's going on in context, and I have a basic grasp of grammar, but that's about the extent of my knowledge/skill at this point. My girlfriend is more fluent.

Also, I've studied tarot and through that am a bit aware of Kabbalah, but I'm not up to speed on the Hebrew you're using in this. My girlfriend's also into Crowley's work...

Ummmm... maybe I don't understand, but what does Martin Luther, one of the most notorious anti-Semites in history, have to do with Jewish mysticism?
He adds “King” by hand to the sign Roni “tacks” to the door at about 1:00 into the video; a reference to both Luther and King. The quotes are from MLK.

Note to Roni: I moved the rest of this post to a new thread under the Creativity Forum. It's now called, All Things Kabbalah.
Thanks. Good idea to create a new thread on Kabbalah.

Given your consent, I would like to post a duplicate of my initial performance-post with the video-link here, since I think the subject of a video-performance likes to have a home in this thread.
What do you think?

EDIT:
After reading musket's comment [#10], I even wonder if my initial performance-post is happy as a start for a thread dedicated to Kabbalah AT ALL.

(esp since my 3 videos were not intended to refer to Kabbalah - The biblical quote from Genesis is much more general and the whole topic had been Luther not Kabbalah and maybe mixing these is unfortunate and confusing for public readers)

Maybe you could - if this isn't too much work - take the effort to "clean up" by seperating the artwork (and art-related comments, like xie-kitchin's [#11] and putting it back here; and starting the "Kabbalah"-thread with a new inital thread (if this is technically possible), maybe just briefly stating, that the conversation follows from another thread or whatever.

Last edited:
Thanks Carol/Arty for splitting and bringing a little order into the two seperate subjects.
I would like to post a duplicate of my initial performance-post with the video-link here, since I think the subject of a video-performance likes to have a home in this thread.
Now I just have to re-post my post from last Friday here [to be imagined between #4 and #5 above], which goes like this:

Here comes another video-performance of mine.

At the 500-year-celebrations of Martin Luther's theses and reformation of the Christrian church 2015 in Germany [yes, I'm aware that the publication of Luther's theses was 1517, but Germany started with celebrations in 2015 anyway], there was a church in Nuremberg (Nürnberg), the Lorenz-Kirche, that displayed a video-installation by the artists Brigitta Muntendorf and Javier Salinas [<- click to see the 5-min-documentation on the project] from Apr. 16 to June 14.

Their concept was to invite other artists (as well as ordinary people) to contribute photos and videos that show their own version or considerations on the subject of the theses that have been publicly nailed to the church-door by Martin Luther.

I was invited and sent them 3 video-snippets, all of which were used in the final project.
Here they come all 3 in a row (3:32mins) as each of them appeared in the final cut with Brigitta Muntendorf's original soundscore.

Last edited:
Boy! This whole thread has become a performance in its own right already!

Last edited:
I'll have to read what you said real slow and figure out what it is I'm supposed to do. Anything can be done. I just have to get it through my head what that is exactly. 🤪

EDIT: Roni, I think I see what you're saying, but I just can't re order posts. That's the only issue, but I will clean up what I can and since you reposted the performance in this thread, at least that is in here now. I can ask mjp again if he knows any way to reorder posts, but as of yesterday, he said he didn't know.

Last edited:
Everything's fine. Thank you, sweety. I'm happy. Don't mind.
And I like that this has turned to become a sort of performance itself. It's art.
Let's go ahead with each of the threads.

Back