Painting with Copper Tubing Elements

Hermes2020

This is an experiment in the use of copper tubing in a painting. Winsor & Newton Griffin alkyd paints and 3mm copper tubing on a 760 x 610mm primed hardboard panel.

DSC_6420.jpg

Some details.

DSC_6421.jpg

DSC_6424.jpg

There’s no lack of texture in this and I love the design too! I can read all kinds of things into the circles and what’s going on between them but mostly I just find this very interesting. Successful experiment for sure, Hermes!

Oh this is great. Abstract art at it's best IMO. The copper provides great contrast and used between the light/dark color fields also unites them, providing an interesting tension between unity and difference, textured mottled colors and smooth metal. Also gives gravitas. Abstracts can seem artificial but the metal is certainly real.

Is the copper coated or do you think it will tarnish to green? A work of art that changes it's appearance over time. Like a living thing.

More!!! :)

Oh this is great. Abstract art at it's best IMO. The copper provides great contrast and used between the light/dark color fields also unites them, providing an interesting tension between unity and difference, textured mottled colors and smooth metal. Also gives gravitas. Abstracts can seem artificial but the metal is certainly real.

Is the copper coated or do you think it will tarnish to green? A work of art that changes it's appearance over time. Like a living thing.

More!!! :)

John, thank you for your insightful comments. You have identified exactly what I had in mind: the stitching together of light and dark areas. The copper is uncoated and I think it will be interesting to see how it reacts to its surroundings. I wouldn't even object to it being given a rub with a soft cloth now and then to keep it shiny.

This is gorgeous! I love how you incorporated the copper into the painting. Your palette is so varied and different from top to bottom but the textures are beautiful, and the weight of the darker values on the bottom is stabilizing. It all works.

If it were in front of me I'd have a hard time not touching it - you probably will be well advised to keeping that soft cloth nearby to keep it clean!

An excellent piece. Applause!

Thank you, Terri. Glad you feel compelled to touch it, because the idea of creating some pieces that invite participation has been on my mind lately. I am currently working out the details of an interactive concrete sculpture with elements that can be rearranged in different configurations.

It is in my nature to overthink things. I have found that if I tell myself I am doing an experiment, I can be more spontaneous and try different combinations of colours and textures, without worrying too much about creating something pretty. Sometimes, what comes out is something that may just look OK on a wall!

Love the use of the copper and all that texture in the paint. I love everything about this.

Back