Brush/Tray Holder

Bongo

I recently made a plein air brush holder out of plastic pipe. This is not a new idea, but I had some "happy coincidents" when I made mine out of scraps I had laying around the house-- this could also be used for the paint tray.

I had a piece of 1 1/12" ID ABS pipe on hand so I used that. ABS is used mostly for drain lines, found in hardware stores alongside PVC pipe, the difference is ABS is a little tougher and has thicker walls.

brush1.jpg

I discovered a standard prescription bottle makes a perfect cap and bottom. This is cheaper(free) and less bulky than using pipe fittings.

The lid of the bottle makes a friction fit for the bottom of the brush holder.
brush2.jpg

brush3.jpg

The body of the bottle - with the help of one wrap of black electrician's tape makes a vacuum tight cap. That stays put.
brush4.jpg

another fortuitous coincidence - the tube fits perfectly inside a roll of paper towels so saves room in your bag.

Last edited:
this should also work just as well with 1 1/2" ID PVC "grey pipe" The bottle cap will plug up the bottom since ABS and PVC pipes are the same inside diameter. The PVC pipe will probably require a few more wraps of black electricians tape to make the cap fit since the walls of PVC pipe are thinner - but it should work just as well.

Back