Paint Tray Built Back Better

Bongo

I made some improvements (imo) on the 90degree paint tray. This design is cheaper and easier to make and holds more pigment.
trayaa.jpg

I bought a yardstick at Lowes for $1.08 and cut it to the length of my palette. I centered a wood screw on each end. So that the tray would make a snug fit in the plastic pipe used to store it. I sealed and gessoed the yardstick to make it last. Any wood slat 1 1/2" wide will work for a 1 1/2 diameter pipe..
Traybb.jpg

The tray could easily hold more paint and colors than I have here.
traycc.jpg

Fits into the pipe without squishing the paint.
traydd.jpg

and can be stored in the fridge without disturbing the Grey Poupon
trayrefrig.jpg

Last edited:

Donna T

That’s pretty cool, no pun intended. Are there caps on both ends of the pipe? I only see one in your fridge but assume both ends are covered. Thanks for a great idea, Bongo - I will be trying this.

Bongo

Thanks Donna, the cap and end plug are made from a standard prescription pill bottle. See the previous post - "Brush/Tray Holder" on how to make it - easy and almost free.

Donna T

OK, I get it now. I've been using a glass tray and submerging it in water but it's kind of messy when I get it out. It seems that even if the edges of the paint piles touch the pipe that the contamination would be minimal.

Bongo

I just wipe off the edge of the tray before you put it in the tube. But if you forget it's no big deal
Extra feature - the screws make it easy to pick up and move around without getting paint on your fingers.

Last edited: