Old Inlet, Fire Island

john

This is the second serious try at following along with this vid. This time with a more limited pallet and a half sheet instead of a full. .... And once again I failed to do what she did.

The thing that strikes me about her process is that she says she "develops" a painting. It isn't planned. She isn't sure what it's going to be. It starts with controlled chaos and then gets constructed into something. I love the process. Reminds me of poured ink paintings where randomness starts it.

I have thirty colors in my pallet! This time I taped over all but seven for this one. The earth colors were omitted. This gave me at least a chance of some color unity and discipline.

My mind has been on Fire Island, a barrier beach off Long Island that in the wild sections is beautiful in an understated way. And this scene sort of echoes a small wash-over occasional inlet in the island. It used to be big enough for boats to get through from bay to ocean but shifting sands open and close it. Thus the name "Old Inlet". But I didn't really plan this.

Thanks for looking. I'm pretty happy with this one. C&C welcome.

1720747650781.png

Last edited:
Not to belittle Barbara Nechis, but I sincerely think yours is more dynamic, with a better colour palette.

I understand her process but I can never leave anything as an abstract but rather move it to the expressionist side. You have a real nice color flow here. If anything, your greens could be less intense but that is personal taste I would think.

Not to belittle Barbara Nechis, but I sincerely think yours is more dynamic, with a better colour palette.

Thanks Hermes. I guess I really didn't want to copy anyway even if I could. She uses a lot of colors in her palette - oh thanks oh yeah, that's how it's spelled! I recently made a coffee table from a wood pallet, is my excuse. :)

I understand her process but I can never leave anything as an abstract but rather move it to the expressionist side. You have a real nice color flow here. If anything, your greens could be less intense but that is personal taste I would think.

Thanks Wayne. I sometimes wonder if my disinterest in most pure abstraction shows a lack of taste and sophistication or something. So it's good to hear that apparently you are the same way. :)

I hear you about the greens. They drive me nuts. It's a love/hate thing. This photo does pump up the saturation of them. IRL they are duller. I specifically taped over all the green color wells except for green gold as it is the least saturated. But going forward I might try lowering their chroma even more. It amazes me how so many good landscape paintings have so little high chroma green in them. Might be a lesson there for me to do the same. You seem to favor low key colors for sure.

This is so GOOD John. I actually love the greens and how they play against the blues here. This is one of your best in my opinion. ♥️

This is a real beauty! Your greens and blues are mellow and lovely to my eye.

There's something about these latest paintings, while following along with this artist's tutorials, that just conjures up Chagall to me. The lines, the layers...can't really pinpoint it. They're gorgeous.

This is so GOOD John. I actually love the greens and how they play against the blues here. This is one of your best in my opinion. ♥️

Thanks Ayin. Maybe I got something clicking for once. So I'll probably veer off in another direction now. :)

This is a real beauty! Your greens and blues are mellow and lovely to my eye.

There's something about these latest paintings, while following along with this artist's tutorials, that just conjures up Chagall to me. The lines, the layers...can't really pinpoint it. They're gorgeous.

Thanks so much Terri. Glad you like them. But Chagall would probably be horrified to hear of that comparison. :)

Thanks Hermes. I guess I really didn't want to copy anyway even if I could. She uses a lot of colors in her palette - oh thanks oh yeah, that's how it's spelled! I recently made a coffee table from a wood pallet, is my excuse. :)
Furniture design has been an interest of mine for more than 50 years, so please show us some photos of your pallet table.

Back