Octopus

JessieNebulous

octopus.png

Made with Krita.

The color / texture is great and the contrast with the background really makes it pop! Are you using any particular brushes with Krita? I'm learning that program now but have mostly stuck to the line art and airbrush brushes so far

The color / texture is great and the contrast with the background really makes it pop! Are you using any particular brushes with Krita? I'm learning that program now but have mostly stuck to the line art and airbrush brushes so far
Thank you! Krita is the first program I've used and I've enjoyed it a lot. Definitely experiment with the brushes because some have really cool textures. For the octopus, I used 3 brushes, just a standard paint and blender brush, and for the texture I used the one with "eroded" in the title. Eroded dry brush, I think.

I like it! Those shadows on the upright tentacle against the body could be softer, IMHO, but overall it's very cool.

Also, I'm glad you mentioned Krita. It's actually available for Android tablets! I thought it had to have all of KDE installed in order to work, but happily, that's not so :)

What is KDE?
KDE is the K Desktop Environment for the Linux operating system. I have never known what the "K" stands for. It is arguably (and I do mean arguably) the slickest and most sophisticated (some would say most bloated and resource hungry) desktop for Linux. From KDE:

"KDE started life as a desktop environment over 20 years ago. As activities have grown, KDE is now an international team that creates Free and Open Source Software.

What this means in practice is that the many programs from the KDE community work together to give you the best possible computing experience. Does that mean you can't use a KDE application if you don't use the KDE desktop? Not at all. With the help of one or two extra libraries the applications can be used on almost any Linux desktop. What's more, increasingly that software runs on a variety of other platforms. You can now find many KDE applications running under Windows and Mac OS or other devices such as smartphones and tablets."

Krita is apparently now a stand-alone application that works with, among other things, Android, which means I can get a feel for it on my betrothed's hand-me-down old Android tablet with a cheapo stylus!

Last edited:
@laika KDE: Ahhh, now I know what you're talking about. This is something Ettrich created over Unix/Linux. The K stood for K(ool) environment. I only had a Linux machine for a short time, but I know what your talking about. I was (am still) all about the open source scene, but I got tired of switching between my Windows and Linux machines, so finally just kept with my PC. You're more techie than I am, but that's so cool you're on a Unix operating system. To me, that's like the brave frontier.

The K stood for K(ool) environment... You're more techie than I am, but that's so cool you're on a Unix operating system. To me, that's like the brave frontier.
That does sound vaguely familiar. I think it's the Koolest Linux desktop, anyway, even if I don't use it :) I use a tiny Raspberry Pi 4 computer (size of a deck of cards, basically) that uses a leaner desktop. Linux is way easier to get into now days; i haven't gotten "under the hood" in a long time, so what little techiness that I might have once had has atrophied.

Back